Home » Audio » Speaker » Has anyone listened to a Z horn?
Has anyone listened to a Z horn? [message #19624] Sat, 13 December 2003 11:44 Go to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor

Re: Has anyone listened to a Z horn? [message #19626 is a reply to message #19624] Sun, 14 December 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've never seen one, but I've heard Fostex drivers and liked them. Many single driver speakers lack too much and sound like clock radios to me. But Fostex are pretty good.

Re: Has anyone listened to a Z horn? [message #19627 is a reply to message #19624] Mon, 15 December 2003 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
I've e-mailed Tom Z. a few times. He seems knowledgable and helpful.

He sells three versions; the Dakini (original Z-horn) that uses 4 inch drivers; a Heruka that uses a 6 inch Fostex FE168E Sigma driver; and a larger one yet, the Garuda, that uses the Fostex FE206e. He's told me that he really doesn't care for the FE206e, but offers it to those who want it. The Heruka has more solid bass/mids than the , but reportedly gets "soft" on the high end.

Each design is a floorstanding, rear horn loaded cabinet with front firing mouth. The Dakini can be fitted with 4 different 4 inch drivers. I like having driver options, offers different cabinet materials, and that he freely offers the cabinet plans. Tom is considering adding some sort of larger baffle piece to reduce baffle step loss.

Some would argue front firing versus rear firing horns, but the audible differences are rather small and like most everything else there are trade-offs for both. Rear firing can use the back wall/corner to reinforcement bass output, but delays the signal coming from the horn more than a front firing cabinet. Remember that at best these designs only boost an octave or so.

Re: Has anyone listened to a Z horn? [message #19628 is a reply to message #19626] Tue, 16 December 2003 21:22 Go to previous message
DrN is currently offline  DrN
Esquire
As A matter of fact,I have a pair of Tom's Dakini's,4" Fostex with a Sub. So, front mouth,or rear mouth makes no difference to me. They kick ass! Unbelievable the sound that comes out of those speakers. I also use them with Zero Autoformers to knock down the Ohms to 2. I have Zen SE83 Signature Monos that like the 2 Ohm loading. Highly recommended!

Den

Previous Topic: The Horn (from the Horn Shoppe)
Next Topic: Midrange horn experiments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:57:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout