Home » Audio » Speaker » Single driver speaker suggestion
Single driver speaker suggestion [message #19620] Fri, 12 December 2003 07:50 Go to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
Hi

I just purchased a Classic 30 amp from Ideal Innovations. I'm aware of the Omega, Loth X, Horn Shoppe, and Cicada speakers. Is there any other one that you can recommend. I've read good things about he Jordon driver speakers but they might be out for my price range of $750 max.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Single driver speaker suggestion [message #19621 is a reply to message #19620] Fri, 12 December 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You might look into vintage Electro-Voice fullrange drivers. They have a somewhat warmer sound then most of the newer fullrange drivers, and are extremely non-fatiguing. They need a tweeter crossed over at around 10 kHz. Build quality is first rate. Sensitivity ratings are in the mid to high 90's dB range.
Although I haven't heard it, JBL made a nice 8 inch fullrange driver that is spoken highly of as well.

Dave :^)

Re: Single driver speaker suggestion [message #19622 is a reply to message #19620] Sat, 13 December 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Pete:

I've heard the first three on your list:

Omega - good fostex sound, all could use a sub, any of the "3" variety are fast, Louis is a good guy to deal with and flexible regarding customization

Lothx - only heard the Amaze, had no mid-bass (maybe it wasn't broken it, don't know), wouldn't integrate with a sub, nothing amazing to me

The Horn - Ed Shilling is a highly opinionated character and I'm sure would be good to deal with, can be very fussy regarding setup, least efficient of these three, will sound thin when pushed hard, slants more towards accuracy than fullness of sound

The Jordan 92S would be in your price range if you can do some DIY open baffles or infinite baffles, even if you added a Rava sub.

Re: Single driver speaker suggestion [message #19625 is a reply to message #19620] Sat, 13 December 2003 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Pete,
I would defintely recommend a vintage full range driver, and go about building your own cabs.
Currently, i think fostex, lowther & R-1 drivers are considered good, as are a german companythat "rights" what the Lowther did wrong (i forget the name of the driver but it;s more expensive than a lowther). However, i have opnly heard a fostex, in Phil;s speaker, and it sounded pretty good, eventhough i think the cabinet may not have been the optimal match, it still sounded great.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Single driver speaker suggestion [message #19688 is a reply to message #19620] Wed, 07 January 2004 12:18 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Pete,
Tell us what you ended up getting,and how it sounds. Did you go the vintage driver DIY route, or did you get one of the newer ones?

Stereophile seemed to like both the hornshoppe & the cicada, with the nod going to the moth audio cicada (read conclusion of review in stereophile, JAN 2004 ).

thanx
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: New! Improved???
Next Topic: line arrays questions and stuff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:30:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers