Home » Audio » Speaker » diffractionless horns
diffractionless horns [message #19539] Thu, 19 June 2008 12:44 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master

this is further on the earlier talks below. i thought to put it here so it would not be lost to see.

i want to compare horns to hear the difference of diffraction in the throat makes. one has straight walls with the compression driver at the tip. the other has straight walls after the rounded part at the beginning. the rounded part makes there be not an edge at the transition point. so far so good.

my trouble is to realize the slits in the phase plug cause diffraction too. even if the slits are rounded and smooth they still make an abrupt change from dome to compression chamber to phase plug slits to throat.

that made me to think: is there any way to make a compression driver that doesn't have diffraction?

Re: diffractionless compression drivers [message #19540 is a reply to message #19539] Mon, 23 June 2008 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right that there is diffraction within driver, itself. The compression chamber and phase plug cause diffraction before it ever enters the horn. I suppose you could remove the phase plug and compression chamber, putting the diaphragm at the entrance of the throat and having throat area equal to diaphragm area. But that would reduce efficiency and bandwidth, so I'm not sure it would be a trade you would want to make.

Re: diffractionless compression drivers [message #19541 is a reply to message #19540] Sat, 05 July 2008 01:21 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilk is currently offline  Bill Wassilk
Chancellor
It would reduce efficency and bandwidth especialy in the top end of the driver. Look at Graeme's web site about phase plugs and effects it has on extending the high end, even though he's using cone speakers. But the same goes for hf drivers only on a smaller scale, you want to try and get the all the wavelengths hitting the horn throat at the same time, hence the different path lengths formed by the phase-plug to extend hf response.

Previous Topic: ping kloss
Next Topic: Best value for tweeters for La apps? Maybe... horn loading?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:52:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio