Home » Audio » Speaker » Suspension on HiEff woofers
Suspension on HiEff woofers [message #19401] Mon, 10 December 2007 12:25 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Do high efficiency woofers need some power to overcome suspension stiffness and open them up? I was wondering because even though they are efficient enough to listen to with a watt or less, they seem to make more bass at about 10 watts. I spent the weekend with a friend that has some HiEff JBL's and I noticed this about them. Are speaker like these best used with 10 watts or more or are there some that can be used with low power tubes?

Crystal

Re: Suspension on HiEff woofers [message #19402 is a reply to message #19401] Mon, 10 December 2007 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master

This topic comes up from time to time (see below). I think it has more to do with the Fletcher-Munson curve (shown above) than anything else. What this curve shows is perceived loudness at various levels. At 70-80dB you need more bass for PERCIEVED loudness to be the same as you do at 100-110dB. This is because of the way your EARS work, not the speakers suspension or anything else in the audio chain. Some receiver/amps have loudness contour circuits built in. Press the button and it adds more bass and a smidge more treble when volume is low.

Re: Suspension on HiEff woofers [message #19455 is a reply to message #19401] Thu, 28 February 2008 11:21 Go to previous message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
"Do high efficiency woofers need some power to overcome suspension stiffness and open them up?"

I think so. From my trial and errors I've found rolled surrounds and loose suspensions, lower compliance, higher Vas, get punchy at lower levels. I think this is why some folks like Altecs vs. new pro-sound types. I've tried only 6 different 15s and found the woofer from the Pioneer CS99A and Cerwin Vega S2 to sound best at low levels, the EV DL15W has excellent bass but a little disconnected in the mids so likes lower crossover,

Previous Topic: Speakers to TV
Next Topic: Ping Speakerman57...2226H Vs 416-8c??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:17:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio