Home » Audio » Speaker » Multiple subs and reverb?
Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19348] Tue, 28 August 2007 11:19 Go to next message
Rapid is currently offline  Rapid
Chancellor
Hi,
Multiple subs make the frequency response smoother but does it also reduce the reverb in bass? (don't remember the correct word). I mean, if the Q of the peaks are reduced, the timedomain should decay faster, if it's a linear system?

Best regards,
Mattias

Re: Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19349 is a reply to message #19348] Tue, 28 August 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you mean the Q of the ROOM peaks ? Id have to agree with you - Im abit rusty though[Ive been focusing on IT lately]

Another important question is, what is audible? Low Q peaks are much more audible than high Q ones - Im not sure if this is the same vs frequency or different.

Must be some AES with data on this?I noticed last time I looked it was hard to find info on the

Re: Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19351 is a reply to message #19348] Thu, 30 August 2007 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's a thread about this in the Room Acoustics forum, called "Computer Simulation of Room Acoustics."

If the subs are placed within 1/4λ of the mains at the crossover point, then they will sum very well. They'll effectively be the same acoustic source. If not, then there will be some lobes that form in the room.

The thing is, wall reflections act as sound sources too. Each subwoofer in the room and each (wall, ceiling or floor) reflector acts as a sound source and they aren't going to be within 1/4λ of each other through the subwoofer band (or any other band, for that matter). Interaction between acoustically distant sound sources is nonminimum phase.

The only indoor solution that presents itself is dense interference. Use multiple point sources to average the sound field. CARA is room modeling software that can help you find what positions are best to place your subs.

Re: Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19354 is a reply to message #19351] Sun, 02 September 2007 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rapid is currently offline  Rapid
Chancellor
Hi,
ok, so it's not a minimum phase system. But do multiple subwoofers give faster decay?

Re: Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19355 is a reply to message #19354] Sun, 02 September 2007 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can't describe the system with a single group delay figure. Because there are multiple direct and reflected sound sources, some components will be shifted less than one wavelength, some greater. The interaction is complex, and can't be effectively corrected with delay or with electrical EQ. However, the use of several sound sources tends to average the amplitude response throughout the room, making the overall energy distribution more uniform.

Re: Multiple subs and reverb? [message #19356 is a reply to message #19354] Tue, 04 September 2007 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
The subjective effect of multiple subwoofers might be interpreted as faster decay, though that wouldn't really be what's going on.

Large bass response peaks typically occuring due to room interactions are interpreted by the ear as "fat" or "slow" bass, and the averaging-out effect of multiple displaced low-frequency sources smooths the in-room response significantly. The subjective result is better pitch definition because we can hear the notes in their proper relationship, and we might well interpret that as faster decay.

I have some experience in blending subwoofer systems with dipole speakers, and in that application multiple subs works very well. I can go into some detail about why if you'd like.

Duke

When is your multiple subwoofer design coming out? [message #19357 is a reply to message #19356] Wed, 12 September 2007 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Duke,
ANy updates on that comng to market?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: When is your multiple subwoofer design coming out? [message #19358 is a reply to message #19357] Wed, 12 September 2007 12:24 Go to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Akhilesh,

I ran into a production problem. A mistake was made in manufacturing the boxes, and that has delayed things.

My two beta-testers were happy and want sets, and one will be getting his next week. I did sell one completed set to a customer as I had just enough correct boxes on hand to put together one set.

Duke

Previous Topic: Mini Statements DIY speaker project is finished!
Next Topic: new array project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:03:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout