Home » Audio » Speaker » Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz
Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19252] Mon, 21 May 2007 10:12 Go to next message
David Laveau is currently offline  David Laveau
Esquire
I've been reading the archives for awhile, great forum!

I do have a question regarding the bass horn designs that have been adapted from the Shearer horn?

I am referring specifically to horns like the late disco sound system designer Richard Long's famous Bertha Horn and Levan Extension module.... and their decendants (made today by companies like GSA (www.gsany.com) and SBS (www.systemsbyshorty.com))

I have read that the response from these horns are tremendous, unrivaled according to some...

while others have stated that the output is merely an Illusion....

Have any of you all tried playing with the Shearer horn design and adapting it for modern drivers? (as i understand it, the preferred driver for the current builders is the JBL 2442, back in the 70/80s it was was an Eminence 18016, after Vega stopped making the original driver used)

here is some of the spare info i have been able to get regarding the Bertha and Levan.... my understanding is that the Levan Ext is an exponential flare bolted onto the Bertha's Hyperbolic flared mouth...

The Bertha
A large multi-fold hyperbolic horn delivering full power frequency response down to 20Hz. Features two 18" drivers specially designed for high power low frequency application - 1000 watts RMS. This speaker system must be interfaced with any RLA electronic crossover.
DIMENSIONS: 42"H x 61"W x35.5"D
WEIGHT: 425 lbs.

The Levan
Our top of the line bass horn featuring the Bertha with a large horn extension for improved air coupling. This is one of the finest bass horns ever made. It will handle the largest discos with ease and provide awesome bass reproduction.
DIMENSIONS: 42"H x 96"W x 64"D
WEIGHT: 612 lbs.

Re: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19253 is a reply to message #19252] Mon, 21 May 2007 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you seen any measurement data, SPL at various power levels, response charts or distortion figures?

Maybe we can get them to come out to the next Prosound Shootout in October 2007 and see how these basshorns stack up next to others.

Re: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19254 is a reply to message #19253] Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
unfortunately I have not,

I think that Paul Bell tried to get some far a PSW shootout a few years ago, but he couldn't find anyone that had a "real" pair that would drag them out to the fun....

and the builders tend to be very secretive about the box
(totally understandable, I guess)

Re: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19255 is a reply to message #19253] Mon, 21 May 2007 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Those things are so massive and heavy, I wouldn't be suprised if some of those were built on-site to where there being installed. I sure wouldn't want to move one.

Re: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19256 is a reply to message #19255] Mon, 21 May 2007 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I don't know about the site building theorm, I think if that was to happen with the clone builders today; someone would take pics and "steal"/reverse engineer their clone plans....

and as I understand it, RLA had some folks at a professional woodworking shop build his cabinets...

Re: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz [message #19258 is a reply to message #19254] Mon, 21 May 2007 19:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe we can get them to come to the 2007 Prosound Shootout in October. See ProsoundShootout.com for more information.

Stay tuned...

Previous Topic: Neo 8 / neo3 xo
Next Topic: Back from Dallas and depressed ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 01:45:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio