Home » Audio » Speaker » Back from Dallas and depressed ...
Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19221] Thu, 10 May 2007 12:33 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
One thing I noticed in Dallas, listening to a number of the demo systems, was that some had more bass "slam" than my set up at home. So I'm wondering why. I can tell right away that some of the systems had exagerated bass due to the small room, and that is easy to spot, it sounds bloated and boomy. What I'm looking for is clean tight bass that can thump you. Know what I mean? So give me some advice. If I measure about any equipment setup I can put my hands on, it's reasonably flat in my room from 50 on up. And I'm using high efficency system (min 97 db and up) - I've tried amps ranging from 2w to 8w to 30w. I've tried SS and tube. My conclusion so far is: 1) It isn't the speakers; 2) it isn't the amps. So it must be the room? My listening room is a large basement space that has concrete on the floor, front, and both side walls, normal stud wall on the back, and open joists on the celing. But the hotel rooms, I'm guessing, are about the same - some concrete, some stud walls. No? For speakers I've tried direct radiators, open baffle, and compression drivers (1000 hz up). By the way, I can make the bass boomy in my room, but it isn't a lack of bass, it's a lack of punch. As for driver size, I've used JBL 2226 in a 2.5 box (15" driver) and I've used 15" IB sub on OB. So I also don't think it is related to the size of the radiator I'm using. Should I be looking for a room suck out at some higher frequency? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Steve

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19222 is a reply to message #19221] Thu, 10 May 2007 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barry S is currently offline  Barry S
Chancellor
I've got a small set of monitors and a sub in a small square room. Far from an ideal situation is being kind as the room is awful. The system had no slam or whump in it and had a somewhat congested quality overall.

That changed by moving the listening position closer to the speakers. The chair went from a semi near field listening position to a very near field spot. It was probably a 4 or 6 foot change in the position of the chair.

The system has slam in the new listening position and has lost the muddied congested quality.

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19223 is a reply to message #19221] Thu, 10 May 2007 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's the solid concrete. There's nothing to damp standing waves, so room modes are maximized. Framed drywall construction actually helps damp room modes because the drywall flexes and absorbs some of the bass. That's a good thing where room modes are concerned.

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19224 is a reply to message #19223] Thu, 10 May 2007 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
So my options are?? Build out frame walls? Or, place acoustic damping pad? Any recomendations?

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19225 is a reply to message #19224] Thu, 10 May 2007 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Steve, Have you tried moving your speakers closer to the corners or back wall? How can you make "boomy bass" in your room?.......C

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19226 is a reply to message #19225] Fri, 11 May 2007 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Colin, thanks for the response. I have tried to move them into corners but it does get boomy that way. If they weren't so big, I'd cart them upstairs to see how they sound in a stud wall room.

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19227 is a reply to message #19222] Fri, 11 May 2007 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Barry, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it last night, I didn't notice a difference. Back to the drawing board. I think part of it might be that the room is so large that it soaks up a lot of energy, but that's just my WAG...

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19228 is a reply to message #19226] Fri, 11 May 2007 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You might hit Ron up for a sub. He just picked up a dual 15" Eminance with VERY low fs (20Hz) from me.

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19229 is a reply to message #19228] Fri, 11 May 2007 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Grab a copy of CARA and do some modeling of various placements in your room. You may find a placement that works well. You might also find that the addition of one or two more subs helps. Probably the best thing though will be the addition of bass traps. They are large resonators that absorb sound and damp the room.

Re: Back from Dallas and depressed ... [message #19230 is a reply to message #19221] Fri, 11 May 2007 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Delgadas is currently offline  Delgadas
Esquire
I suppose most small rooms, especially rooms with low ceilings, simply don't have the volume needed to develop low frequencies. Driver size is not so critical providing they are capable of delivering the proper waves. A pipe organ can lay down some very low frequencies but the wavelength is so long, at 50Hz it may need more than 30 feet to develop. Otherwise, in a small room the sound will get all blended around and you won't be able to pick up the new transients. Bass traps in a small room can help by allowing the long waves to stretch out.

In a small room there will be a node or nodes somewhere, not necessarily near the listening chair or even in the same room, where the bass will sound nice and tight. It's almost never where you want it to be.

I've had a little success in my own low ceiling, far from ideal room. It's a little like tuning an instrument. After much fiddling around and with help from a friend with good ears, I ended up with dual subs, port down on the carpet with the driver facing a wall. Adjusting the distance from the walls makes huge changes in the location of the good nodes. I can get that nice rich satisfying thumping at my chair from 2 watts but it's still no Yes concert.

Previous Topic: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz
Next Topic: Anybody want to build a DIY IDS-25 clone (somewhat cheaply)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 00:54:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio