Home » Audio » Speaker » Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns
Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19175] Mon, 19 March 2007 05:55 Go to next message
Peter Krojgaard is currently offline  Peter Krojgaard
Baron
Hi,

If the transition from a compression driver to a rectangular horn is less than optimal, where in the frequency band will this be most audible - and how?

I ask because I use a pair of large rectangular 200 Hz mid/high horns for a pair of BMS 4592 ND drivers (I use this combo from 266 Hz and up). The throat transition is not a disaster, but it is not super smooth either, and I have some harshness in the treble (6-9kHz, I think) and wonder to what extent this harchness may be due to the non-optimal transition. Thanks!

All the best
Peter

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19176 is a reply to message #19175] Mon, 19 March 2007 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The closer to the throat entrance, the higher in frequency the effects will be.

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19177 is a reply to message #19176] Mon, 19 March 2007 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

To be more specific: In my horns the first 3/4 of an inch (the "adapter")is not flared at all, but resembles a "tube" (I hope it is possible to visualize my description!). After that, the circular entry is slowly (over a distance of app. 2 inches) converted to the rectangular form of the exponential horn. This transition piece is fairly smooth, but not perfect.

Given your expertise, do you find it likely that a "transition" as described above would (or could) course harshness in the 6-9 kHz range (in my case, especially too pronounced s-sounds in female voices)?

Thanks again Wayne!

All the best
Peter

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19178 is a reply to message #19177] Mon, 19 March 2007 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have found that adapters formed with straight pipe often create a 1/4λ resonance with frequency set by the length of the adapter. This is particularly true if the interface isn't smooth, or if the flare widens rapidly at the throat. The 1/4λ resonance is also modified by by cross-section area and boundary conditions.

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19179 is a reply to message #19178] Mon, 19 March 2007 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I know that the BMS 2" coaxials have a little frequency spike just above the crossover point of 6.3kHz with their passive network. You might try an active crossover, if you're not using one already.

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19180 is a reply to message #19178] Tue, 20 March 2007 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Thanks a lot for your reply - helpful as allways! Your reply makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Regards
Peter

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19181 is a reply to message #19179] Tue, 20 March 2007 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Cuppa Joe,

Thanks a lot for your reply. At the time of writing I use a passive crossover between the BMS mid and the BMS tweeter. Actually I have dampened the tweeter just above 6K as you suggest. I already use an active filter between my bass horns and the BMS, and maybe an all active solution is the way to go with the BMS.

Regards
Peter

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19182 is a reply to message #19179] Tue, 20 March 2007 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
That is very true.

I had a pair of the Edgar Tractrix 500Hz wood horns (square throat) that worked outstandingly on the midrange frequencies, but beamed horribly (excrusiatingly bad) on the high end with the BMS 4590 coax drivers.

I should have known better, but it needed to be tried since I had them.

DM

Re: Consequences of non-optimal throat transition in mid and high frequency horns [message #19183 is a reply to message #19181] Tue, 20 March 2007 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
If you biamp your BMS mid/tweeter sections, cross just a WEE bit below the passive's crossover point (6kHz instead of 6.3kHz), and really be careful about how much power the tweeter gets! The slightly lower crossover helps to tame that peak at 7kHz.

LC Peaking [message #19184 is a reply to message #19179] Tue, 20 March 2007 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I think that might be caused by LC peaking in the crossover. When capacitance and inductance are in the circuit, a resonant condition is formed. Without the right amount of damping, it can cause peaking. The electrical properties of the driver (including the transformations of acoustic resistance/reactance into mechanical resistance/reactance and eventually into electrical impedance) come into play as well.

Some people, including even some well respected speaker designers, consider a loudspeaker to be resistive, and estimate it as such when doing calculations. It is particularly inappropriate for horns because they are 1/4 wave devices that have several impedance peaks near cutoff. Since this is where they are likely to be crossed-over, it is important to consider the impedance of the horn in the crossover region. Even though a horn approaches pure resistance, it only does this well into its passband and only if adequately sized. Many times, horns are undersized to meet specific design criteria and the crossover point is almost always low in the pasband, so the horn's complex impedance near the low-frequency crossover point must always be considered for best results.

Each year, I give a seminar called "Crossover Electronics 101" at the Lone Star Audiofest. The main emphasis of this seminar is to familiarize people with reactive circuits, to show exactly how peaking can (inadvertently) creep into a crossover design and to show how to damp the circuit properly to prevent it. I present a series of slides with schematics and response charts that show what each circuit does. Then we connect each circuit to a horn tweeter and play sound through it, listening to each one to hear how they sound. I think it's interesting for people to actually hear what various levels of peaking sounds like, and to compare different circuit types.

Previous Topic: TANNOY WESTMINSTER for auction, buy or not?
Next Topic: Lycra Horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:21:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout