Home » Audio » Speaker » Built Pi Midhorn
Built Pi Midhorn [message #18985] Sun, 22 October 2006 04:36 Go to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I just got done building a pi midhorn as per post on pi forum. WOW! These things are cool! I just built one for my modified all tube guitar amp--an old Fender Blues Jr. I just wanted to see what the mid horn was capable of. My amp is so loud and CLEAR and DYNAMIC now! Too bad I lost my bass and treble response. I can imagine how good these would sound in a three-way setup. Putting some of my pedals through this thing has been a big eye opener. There is a lot more detail in their design than I used to hear. Anyone who hasn't built one of these should give it a try.
Mine are far from perfect. I built them out of a $2.50 piece of hardboard from Home Depot and just glued them together, no clamps just tape for 24 hours. Then I used the cutout from my Silver Iris to mount the speaker. To figure out the geometry for buiding my own out of wood will take a little time, but well worth it i know now. They visibly vibrate at high levels, but still a cool little experiment I just had to do. It will be interesting to hear the difference when they are made out of wood.
Has anyone else done experiments like this? What differences can I expect after building the wooden ones?
I may just try to stiffen them up by using some compound or another. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
If you haven't done this experiment, you should try. It is fun, and completely new sound from my amp for only $2.50. Cheaper than any pedal, amp, cable etc... I have ever heard of.
Thanks a lot Wayne for making these things available for free. I can't imagine why you do it, but I for one am very greatful! People like you and Darrel Hawthorne (not to mention the many people who kindly post on these forums) are what keep me enthused with this hobby.
Just wanted to share my experience,
dan

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #18990 is a reply to message #18985] Fri, 27 October 2006 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I'd be interested to hear your reviews of the more permanent version of the Midhorn. I'll bet that a Thermionic 8Pi would take care of the LF problem with your guitar, though I don't know what you'll do about the highs. Adding a tweeter or compression driver/horn combo for guitar just doesn't seem right....

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #18991 is a reply to message #18990] Wed, 01 November 2006 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'll update the post after I update the horn.
Yea, I don't want to add a tweeter or anything, actually I really enjoy the sound of it now--it's really effective, my little combe can play as loud as much bigger combos now and I've never heard a big combo as clear as mine. If I had a 4 ohm speaker, I'd run my hand-wires PTP amp through it(at least an improved version)--that's my real dream here.

I'll let you know,
Dan

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #18992 is a reply to message #18991] Wed, 01 November 2006 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Although I've never listened to a midhorn, I know that good cabinet construction with dense or multi-ply materials prevents significant bass loss and resonances. I'll bet that the overall sound would improve instantly if you used plywood or added LOTS of bracing (unless the resonance actually works for your guitar)!

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #18993 is a reply to message #18992] Fri, 03 November 2006 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yea, I bet you are 100% correct. I need to get around to it. Thanks for the advice! Dan

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #19008 is a reply to message #18993] Tue, 21 November 2006 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
OK, so I stiffened my midhorn. WOE, what a difference! Even greater dynamics and a deeper output, more clarity and space. It sounded so powerful, I had to hook it up to the stereo. If midrange clarity and warmth are important to you, I would have to recommend trying this thing out. It is surprising how much midrange we interpret as bass, but it's really just overtones of bass notes. Mated with a good bass unit and tweeter, this thing would sure be hard to beat as midrange. I think I'll make another improved version later, but for now it is just cool to hear how good horn midrange can be. I bet the real thing made of wood would be much better. I need more tools! Also, I consider myself pretty good at geometry, but I'm sure getting all these angles correct and true will not be easy--just a word of caution for anyone interested and table saw savy.

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #19025 is a reply to message #19008] Thu, 21 December 2006 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
"I need more tools!" The nature call of the DIY Man!!

Re: Built Pi Midhorn [message #19044 is a reply to message #19025] Wed, 24 January 2007 09:30 Go to previous message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
> "I need more tools!" The nature call of the DIY Man!!
Until you have the tools, then its:

"I need more time!"

Chris (w/tools, w/o time)

Previous Topic: Marlboro
Next Topic: o.b array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:53:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio