Home » Audio » Speaker » Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns
Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #18994] Wed, 08 November 2006 00:07 Go to next message
Ka7niq is currently offline  Ka7niq
Baron
There are several used pairs of CD Horns for sale near me.
I am thinking about building a Hi Efficiency speaker around either my Cornwall woofers, or some Altec 421A's.
I have a Rane active crossover that provides CD EQ if needed.

I have never heard a CD Horn in a home setting, and wondered if anyone has compared them to say an Altec 511 or 811 ?

I was looking at some Altec Manta Ray and big JBL CD horns.

Any thoughts ?

Re: Your Experiences With Constant Directivity Horns [message #18995 is a reply to message #18994] Wed, 08 November 2006 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I prefer constant directivity horns. When constant directivity is observed through the midrange upwards, the reverberent field is more uniform. The sound is much more natural throughout the room. This requires midrange and tweeter horns be matched, having the same coverage angle.

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #18996 is a reply to message #18994] Wed, 08 November 2006 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've owned some pro speakers with constant directivity HF horns. The pair I still use for my band use are EV Sx-100 stage monitors/small venue speakers. These have a CD horn crossed at 1.8 kHz. These sound very good. I used them as my home speakers for several months. The highs sounded better that most of my previous speakers designed for home stereo use. Very clear and natural, no harshness unless it was on the recording.

Not sure if this tells you anything about CD drivers in general, but at least it shows that they can work well.

Dave

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #18997 is a reply to message #18994] Wed, 08 November 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I agree with everything Wayne said about the advantages of CD horns. I believe the sonic qualities that come from constant directivity to be audible and well worthwhile.

In my experience, CD horns and waveguides can be hard to cross over. Wayne's paper on crossover networks is an excellent source of information. My attempts at crossing over horn-based systems were disastrous before I got hold of his paper.

I have a friend who went from the big Altec sectoral horns (both the 511 and 811) to CD waveguides and he is happy with the results. Two of the speaker lines I sell use CD waveguides.

What Wayne is doing in his designs - using CD horns and matching up the woofer and horn pattern (at least in the horizontal) in the crossover region is in my opinion very intelligent. I think Altec was the first to do this with the Model 19 and Model 14 years ago, but even today few designs really pay attention to the radiation pattern.

Shortly after the Altec Model 19 and Model 14 came out, JBL took it one step further with the Model 4430 studio monitor. Below is a link to a paper JBL's top engineers wrote describing the theory behind the model 4430 (link hosted by Wayne at PiSpeakers - surprise, surprise!).

Duke

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #18998 is a reply to message #18997] Wed, 08 November 2006 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ka7niq is currently offline  Ka7niq
Baron
Thanks Duke!
I read the article, and It was great!

Where do i find Wayne's crossover paper ?

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #18999 is a reply to message #18998] Wed, 08 November 2006 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Chris,

Glad you liked it!

Wayne's crossover paper is linked to on the "info" page at his website. I think the link below will take you to that page. Under "Helpful documents and software" down at the bottom, it's the third item.

I am amazed at the time and knowledge Wayne shares for free. I try to send people in his direction - not with every post I make, but whenever I think Wayne has something to offer that would serve them well. I still haven't figured out how he makes money at this. If you find his crossover document helpful, let people who might be interested in his designs know about him and his website.

Duke

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #19000 is a reply to message #18999] Thu, 09 November 2006 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PointSource is currently offline  PointSource
Chancellor
I, too, am amazed with what Wayne shares for free! How he makes a buck at it is truly a mystery to me, and I feel a little guilty about accepting design plans without including the offer to pay for them.

Re: Your Experiences With Constant Directivity Horns [message #19001 is a reply to message #18995] Thu, 09 November 2006 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PointSource is currently offline  PointSource
Chancellor
A clarification, please: When you mention "constant directivity" in a HF horn, can I assume that you're referring to the typical diffraction slot style? I ask, because other designs claim constant directivity using non-diffractive throat geometries.

Re: Your Experiences With Constant Directivity Horns [message #19002 is a reply to message #19001] Thu, 09 November 2006 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A diffraction slot is useful for widening dispersion, but it is not useful for controlling the pattern other than that. A diffraction slot can only widen the pattern; It cannot constrain the pattern. It also is very frequency dependent, not constant at all. See the diffraction applet for an example. What a diffraction slot is useful for is widening the pattern at higher frequencies where the pattern would become narrow otherwise.

Constraining the radiation angle is what the horn flare is for. The wall angle of a horn sets its pattern and constant directivity horns have straight walls. Some widen near the mouth because the pattern tends to narrow slightly near the lower cutoff but the wall angle of a CD horn is straight (or nearly straight) along most of the flare.

Re: Your Experiences With Constand Directivety Horns [message #19003 is a reply to message #19000] Thu, 09 November 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Wayne is truely an audio hobbyist at heart.
I think he really enjoys this sharing of knowledge, while gaining relationships that spring up along the way.
If you have a job that you truely enjoy, you will not feel like you are working.
And if he manages to make a buck or two, that is icing on the cake.
Or, at least that is how I see him.
Thanks Wayne

Norris Wilson

Previous Topic: Zu tone or Druid or which Omega to match 300B?
Next Topic: merry christmas line array people and others
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 10:37:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout