Home » Audio » General » Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD...
Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD... [message #1899] Sun, 19 June 2005 12:58 Go to next message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Hi all,

Maybe this is not exactly a music review, since it involves comparisson between 2 source formats of various types of Music, but it is not exactly an audio... paper either. Never the less, the music I am referring to is very interesting, no matter if you have it recorded on vinyl or on an aluminum disc...

The purpose of doing this is to face this old analogue vs.digital "war", from the point of the final acoustical experience and pleasure, listening to both formats - which is what matters anyway - and not from a technical point of view. We've had enough of this...

Please visit: aca.gr/rec05_skal1.htm

I wonder if members of these forums have the same experience with me or the oposite...

Sorry to trouble you...

Re: Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD... [message #1907 is a reply to message #1899] Mon, 20 June 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I don't know. The vast majority of the music I listen to (classical -- baroque to 1850) isn't on vinyl, never will be. so, for me, it's a moot point.

I would caution you, however, that making this kind of comparison is dangerous at best. You must presume that the two recordings you are comparing come from the same master and the engineer made the two pressings identical when played back through the same monitor. You are aware that many CD's are engineered to sound good on cheap consumer electronics and automobile systems. Of course, you have no bias as to the expected outcome and your system properly handles any pre-emphasis on either recording.

I don't know. You may well be right. I don't have a horse in this race.

The best improvement you have made to your system was the last tweak installed. The best improvement you will make in the future is removing that tweak.

Bob

25 records are too much to be sure... [message #1913 is a reply to message #1907] Fri, 24 June 2005 01:53 Go to previous message
skaloumbakas is currently offline  skaloumbakas
Chancellor
Dear Bob,

Off course much of the difference can be due to the recording process. That is why some differ a lot and some differ VERY much!!!

But here, I am not reviewing one or two.
25 recordings on both media I have... and ALL of them sound better on vinyl. So what's the point of wondering...

Previous Topic: CORAL BX-1500 Speakers
Next Topic: Post Shopping Advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 02:17:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout