Home » Audio » Speaker » part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias?
part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18900] Tue, 12 September 2006 09:18 Go to next message
geaugafletcher is currently offline  geaugafletcher
Chancellor
Hello folks, I'm looking for some advice...

I bought a pair of Heathkit AS-101 speakers (Altec Valencia 846A clones) with blown tweeters for $20. Bill at Great Plains fixed me up with new diaphragms, etc. and now the AS-101s sound terrific with a modest Tripath-based amp I put together. These things are big and have a very low WAF indeed.

Should I continue to campaign to get these things out of the garage and into the living room?

or

Should I eBay the drivers and use those funds to buy a kit from Northcreek or Pi? (Or another supplier...)

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer about bang-for-the-buck and such things.

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18901 is a reply to message #18900] Tue, 12 September 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I uese Valencias and Theater 4 pi's. Do you have any specific questions; I would be glad to offer my 2c. I also have a GC and Tripath amp. I have tried both speakers on both amps.

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18906 is a reply to message #18900] Tue, 12 September 2006 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I have built speakers from both North Creek and Pi and can say that both companies and speakers are great. Most highly recommended!

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18908 is a reply to message #18901] Wed, 13 September 2006 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The Heathkits do some amazing things - fantastic 'throw' (or what as a musician I'd call 'projection'), good soundstage, nice detail, very life-like sound. However, they're bass-shy, very large and fairly ugly. They're in my garage presently...leaving the big door closed and listening to some Brahms piano pieces from behind the speakers, the reflection off the door has the amazing effect of the piano really being right there in the room. I've never had that experience before.

Rumor has it that the 846B (with two round ports) has stronger bass than the 846A (where the horn sits back from the baffle and that opening serves as the port). However, the bass that is present has a great rolling, effortless quality. I've also considered building new cabinets from the old Altec plans...

If I can get similar or better sound from a Pi or NorthCreek kit, that seems like the way to go. Certainly your Valencias and Theater 4s sound different; do you prefer one over the other? Do the Theater 4s work better in an average-size living room?

My tripath amp has great detail (to my ears) but it seems that a higher powered amp would bring more richness or body to the sound...totally conjecture on my part. What differences did you find using the GC? How do Pi speakers sound with these kind of DIY amps?

(by the way, sorry for the rambling response, it's late. And thanks!)

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18909 is a reply to message #18908] Wed, 13 September 2006 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good description of the Valencias. To answer your question the Pi 4's and the Altecs do sound quite a bit different. The Pi's go a little deeper and have more detail and punch; they very much like SS amps. If I had to call it I would say they; at least to my ears sound better with more power. The Altecs have a very musical sound; call it colored if you will but I love it. The best sound out of both speakers was the SE Tube amp on the Altecs; and rightfully so since the drivers are much more expensive than what is in the Pi's. That combo did Jazz and pop so good it is like you are there. If you like classical? Maybe the Pi's are more your taste since they are better on the frequency extremes.
The tripath amp sounds nice on the Pi's; not so great on the Altecs.
I agree with the small room issue; the Altecs like bigger rooms while the Pi's can do fine in a smaller space.
I get a phenomenal sound in my den with the A's but it suffers in my smaller room.
For Jazz; I think you might be a little surprised at what a simple vintage tube integrated amp on the Altecs can do. I have on hand a couple common integrateds and what a nice sound from that combo for a small piece of change.
The Pi's will also surprise you with a good 50 watt SS amp on Rock and Classical. Remmember the Theater 4's are pretty big in themselves; 6 cu ft; larger than the Altecs.
To sum up; all depends on your music.
Also bear in mind the Valencias have always suffered from weak cabinet issues. They really need a heavily braced stocky cabinet and that will make a difference in the percieved bass output.

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18910 is a reply to message #18900] Thu, 14 September 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
FWIW, I have had Thermionic 3pi, and now I use a Pi kind of speaker - a JBL 2226 on the bottom and an Altec 806 + 811 horn on top. I've experimented with dozens of different speakers over the years (just ask my wife...). I tend to use lower power amps (tubes) but also some mid power (push pull, 12 to 30 watts). Here are some of my general observations: 1. The best bass comes from big drivers. 15" is not over kill, but it does kill WAF. 2. More power is often more fun, less power is often more revealing. 3. Single drivers are an interesting concept, but I keep going back to 2-ways. 4. Higher efficency is better than lower (for me at any rate).

I think one of the best all time compromises is a simple 2-way with a reasonable size woofer. The 2-pi fits this catagory. I think if you visit the PI site you'll see loads of positive comments.

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18911 is a reply to message #18909] Thu, 14 September 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Funny that your Altecs didn't do well with the Tripath. The Autocostruire (Tripath 2020) and Heathkits make the best-sounding combo I've ever owned. Just for grins, I powered the Heathkits with my garage amp, an old MCS integrated. It had the sort of sound that makes a person say, "So this is why hi-fi guys don't like SS..."

I didn't realize Theater 4s were even bigger than the Valencia cabinet. That puts them out of the running, unfortunately... Of course, my biggest audio surprise so far is the very high indeed WAF of the Pioneer CS-99a. They match our sixties-era wood furniture that once belonged to Mrs. Geauga's grandmother. For home theater and CSI in 5.1, they do pretty well. However, I'd like to have a nice pair of front channel speakers to use for serious listening as well as gunshots and explosions.

Thanks for your comments, manualblock. Anybody have comments on NorthCreek or have other suggestions for a comparable kit?

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18914 is a reply to message #18900] Fri, 15 September 2006 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Is DIYing taller MLTL cabs to get a smaller footprint an option? This would allow a minimum o.d. width/depth of the horn's 18.75"/16.75" with the added benefits of getting the drivers up around your face/chest and more net Vb for greater gain BW.

GM

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18916 is a reply to message #18914] Fri, 15 September 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say GM; is that for the Altec drivers you speak?

Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18917 is a reply to message #18916] Fri, 15 September 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Right, store the OEM cabs if practical since they may have some vintage worth and use the components in new ones since he apparently likes them except for their lack of low end, which the larger Vb addresses to some extent. Once optimized, they can be finished off to more closely blend with the decor, or at least not 'stick out like a sore thumb' if kept close to a wall or corners.

GM

Previous Topic: Re: My line array pictures
Next Topic: ESL DIY Resources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 06:33:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers