Home » Audio » Speaker » Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ?
Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18883] Wed, 30 August 2006 18:48 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Forgive me if you mentioned it recently I may have missed it. So you are still bi-amping the Altecs 511/288's I think with 515 woofs and active xover with bass EQ? Do I remmember that right?
Thanks.

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18885 is a reply to message #18883] Thu, 31 August 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Right before the storm I built a pair of speakers much like 4Pi's - JBL 2225's in reflex enclosures.

JBL 2435's on top

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/misc/2000-tour/northridge/nterior04.JPG)

PH Audio 316 horns; 1-1/2 inch throat "baby cheeks"

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=PH-316&Category_Code=PA-H).

XO is with a Sabine Navigator 3600; amps are Crown K1's.

My intent was to build a "permanent" version with a new pair of 2226's I also bought before the storm. I promised myself that there'd be no more speaker building until I get the house completely squared-away.

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18886 is a reply to message #18885] Fri, 01 September 2006 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I just was looking on a site where this guy used the baby-cheeks horns on top of 811/806 and 515's. Funny; twice in one day but I can't remmember the site. He likes the combination and i remmember you mentioned something similar. But at one time you did bi-amp with an active xover right?

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18887 is a reply to message #18886] Fri, 01 September 2006 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This spring a guy came over and started listning and talking about DSP.

He kind of got to me so I bought the Navigator (http://www.sabine.com/) to replace the Rane MX23 crossover and MQ302 equalizer. The Navigator is a "loudspeaker management system" - crossovers, equalizers, compressors, limiters, gain matching, feedback killers, etc... in one box. You program it with a laptop over RS232. Very nice software, too. I posted something about it here: http://audioroundtable.com/DigitalAudio/messages/323.html

I first bought a Peavey box but it didn't come with half the stuff it promised, so I dumped it and went with the Navigator; very happy with it too.

Actually, with regard to active XO I haven't used a passive XO in years.

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18890 is a reply to message #18887] Sat, 02 September 2006 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You did swtich from Altec gear or I am drifting on this one?

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18891 is a reply to message #18890] Sun, 03 September 2006 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No, you're right:

http://www.audioroundtable.com/Speaker/messages/167.html

The open-baffle thing really had me - I sold all my Altec stuff except the 18" woofers to finance further experiments. Not too much of a sacrifice - Tom Brennan was right; a case of romanticizing the old.

But in the end the OB approach suffers from one fatal flaw that I couldn't live with - real bass impact. So now I've done a 180 and I'm back to horn-over-reflex 2-ways.

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18892 is a reply to message #18891] Mon, 04 September 2006 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; let me ask you; do you think that design gets increasingly more enjoyable as we age? Could it be an age related thing? Because I can't seem to listen to anything else anymore. Maybe the loss of HF hearing along with reaction time?

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18893 is a reply to message #18892] Thu, 07 September 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I said elsewhere that after all the fooling around it's THE design I keep going back to. I think the single thing that makes it attractive is midrange coherence - crossed-over low enough.

In essence it's the original "single-driver" design with sub.

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18894 is a reply to message #18893] Fri, 08 September 2006 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lot of folks seem to think crossing at 300 hz is best. What do you think?

Re: Say Charlie; Have you changed your speaker set-up ? [message #18895 is a reply to message #18894] Fri, 08 September 2006 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I only wish. Really, when using "single" drivers (like Lowther and Fostex) crossing over at around 100 Hz seems to work well. Probably "as low as you can go" is the right answer.

The problem, of course, is how to afford a compression driver (not to mention the horn) that'll go that low. The obvious solution is Wayne's (or for that matter many people's) approach of going with a conventional dynamic driver in some approximation of a conical horn. But it just doesn't appeal to me - probably because I barely have a grip on even a semblance of sanity.

Previous Topic: B&C Drivers
Next Topic: Really Front-Loaded
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:18:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout