Home » Audio » Speaker » DIY Open Baffle
DIY Open Baffle [message #18813] Sat, 29 July 2006 16:35 Go to next message
ChrisCA is currently offline  ChrisCA
Esquire
I'm thinking of a open baffle speaker with 8 mcm 55-1290 (qts .94, spl 89)try to get 98 spl & a Audax pr125ti tweeter (spl 97). Tweeter at the top with 2 rows of 4 woofers up & down & a subwoofer.
This woofer was used in the Whamodyne-Bottlehead project.
Does this have a chance of sounding any good or is this a waste of time? Opinions please. Thanks

Re: DIY Open Baffle- also [message #18814 is a reply to message #18813] Sat, 29 July 2006 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisCA is currently offline  ChrisCA
Esquire
sorta like this baffle (a rectangle with a peak top)
http:www.exoticaudio.org/alon_phalanx.gif

Re: DIY Open Baffle [message #18817 is a reply to message #18813] Sun, 06 August 2006 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From my experience the Qts is way too high and 8 woofers way too many. Use one high-quality mid on each side - get out of it between 100 and 200Hz and you'll have no problems with excursion or bass.

Be prepared to eq it.

Check out Dick Olsher's design for something that works very well. I've built 4 or 5 versions and all of them were very good except for SPL - mid driver would bottom out at "movie" levels or really wide dynamic range recordings.

Excellent DIY Open Baffle Driver [message #18824 is a reply to message #18814] Thu, 17 August 2006 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
The Silver Iris coaxial driver from Hawthorne Audio was designed specifically for open baffle use, and sounds quite incredible, IMO. The sound is beautifully natural and non-fatiguing, and they disappear nicely. They're also very efficient and flea-power SET amp friendly as well. Sadly, my rather smallish room just isn't big enough for them.

Thermionic

Re: Excellent DIY Open Baffle Driver [message #18851 is a reply to message #18824] Thu, 24 August 2006 14:19 Go to previous message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I own the Silver Iris also, and just to second that opinion. You can't go wrong with it. They are supposed to be coming out with a ten inch version with a cast frame. I would probably wait to buy until that one is available. It will probably require a sub though. The 15" one does not need anything except a baffle to reproduce music.

Previous Topic: Research regarding Fiberglass insulation and harmonic absorption?
Next Topic: Vintage RCA LC9A's Horn Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 23:20:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout