Home » Audio » Speaker » Fun with Vintage Speakers
Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18741] Tue, 16 May 2006 19:57 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Thought others might find this interesting. I spent the evening playing with some vintage Electro Voice SP-12's that I have, putting them in open baffles on top of a pair of JBL 2226's for bass support (also base support...). I had to pad down the SP-12s quite a bit to get them matched to the woofers. I swear these EVs have never been used. I bought them on ebay some time ago as NOS, and I can see no evidence that they've ever been mounted. At any rate, what a fantastic sound stage and tone. Yes, I'm getting a bit of the beaming that 12" speakers do, but maybe that is just placement. Where they are right now I get a razor sharp image with tons of depth. I had my wife come listen to them and she immediately said it was the most life-like sound she'd heard (and I've played LOTS of different speakers for her). She liked them a lot more than the Altec 811's I had on there before (she thought they looked like "cartoon" speakers). At any rate, this has been a fun evening of just messing around with different stuff. The old EV's seem pretty reasonably priced on places like ebay. If you're into open baffle, you might look up a pair and give them a try. From the specs I've seen they are high Qt (good for OB) and very efficent (as I said, I had to knock them down a lot to match the 97db JBLs). Seem to do pretty well in the HF area too (they have a wizzer).

Re: Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18742 is a reply to message #18741] Wed, 17 May 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like your philosophy. For me, a 10" or 12" midrange driver is the perfect complement for high efficiency 15" or 18" woofer, crossover to a compression horn on top.

Cartoon speakers [message #18743 is a reply to message #18741] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What's she thinking? That's the beauty of those horns. You should pick up a pair of 511s or 311s just to see her reaction. Better yet, show her the horns Bill is currently reviewing.

Speaking of Bill, I hear you two are doing some kind of amp build. Is it "top secret" or can you elaborate?

I'm going to try like hell to host a wrongsideofthetracks in June. I picked up some toys from Ron a few weeks ago that I'd like to show off. Also, I'm anxious to meet you. I really wish I could have made it to your house last year

More Ohio gatherings coming soon! [message #18744 is a reply to message #18743] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I guess if timing is right we might have several meetings.

I know we should all go to Bill's house and see the monster speakers system. I have only been introduced to them speakers as part of the moving crew to uncrate them and muscle them into Bill's house!

I am in transition with my system as far as speakers and amps are concerned. Most of my preamps are gone and the Blue Circle BC21 has remained to be my main system preamp.

Regards, Ron

Re: Cartoon speakers [message #18745 is a reply to message #18743] Wed, 17 May 2006 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Colin! Well Bill and I have talked about a 45 project with direct coupled driver and parafeed output. This sounds like fun, but takes a serious chunk of cash to get started - at least for good iron. So I'm not sure either of us has moved fully out of design and into purchase stage yet, but maybe soon. As far as a WSOTT meeting, that would be great. In June best time for me is early in the month or late in the month due to travel (Cancun and Palm Springs)....

Re: Cartoon speakers [message #18746 is a reply to message #18745] Wed, 17 May 2006 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe make it a group build and see if a few others will buy parts too? That way you might be able to save a few bucks on the parts by making a group purchase.

Re: Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18747 is a reply to message #18741] Thu, 18 May 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve,

Are these the SP-12, or the SP-12B or SP-12C? I had a pair of SP-12C's several years ago and just loved them. Wish I'd have kept them. I still own some LS-12's and LS-8's, somewhat less expensive than the SP range, but built to the same high standards. I love them, too. Very natural sounding on OB's.

Dave

Re: Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18748 is a reply to message #18747] Thu, 18 May 2006 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Dave, they are the SP-12B's. They do sound good, but wish I could tame the beaming.

Re: Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18749 is a reply to message #18748] Thu, 18 May 2006 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>Dave, they are the SP-12B's. They do sound good, but wish I could tame the beaming.
Re: Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18951 is a reply to message #18749] Fri, 29 September 2006 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tomt is currently offline  tomt
Baron
are these stamped frame or cast?

Previous Topic: internal pressure
Next Topic: Any Opinions About This Driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:01:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio