Home » Audio » Speaker » Two way- conventional and coaxial
Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18710] Sun, 16 April 2006 12:22 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of a conventional two way woofer/tweeter horn and similar drivers in a coaxial configuration? Maybe touch on pros and cons of coaxial tweeter horns with the driver mounted behind the woofer's magnet vs those mounted in front of the cone?

Dave

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18715 is a reply to message #18710] Mon, 17 April 2006 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The advantage of the coaxial arrangement is that driver spacing is much closer. The disadvantage is the size limit on the tweeter horn.

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18716 is a reply to message #18715] Mon, 17 April 2006 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

What if the tweeter horn loads right into the bass cone? Doesn't that have the bass cone become part of the horn loading?

Dave

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18717 is a reply to message #18716] Tue, 18 April 2006 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the woofer cone can act as a horn or part of a horn with a very wide flare.

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18719 is a reply to message #18715] Wed, 19 April 2006 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Not necessarily.

GM

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18720 is a reply to message #18710] Wed, 19 April 2006 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm asking about coaxials to try and understand better the advantages and disadvantages of using them. I can't find a lot of info on this. I'd be interested in the pros and cons of each way of mounting the tweeter as well, like front mounting vs behind the magnet mouting. What problem does each have and what is good about each. Having the horn meet the cone like one big horn les vs protruding horn in the middle. These just doesn't seem to be much info online, or at least not easily found.

Untill recntly, I haven't used a coaxial since my teens. Now it's time to learn about them.

Thanks for any help.

Dave:)

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18721 is a reply to message #18719] Thu, 20 April 2006 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How big is the tweeter horn on the Altec-Lansing 9894A? Looks pretty small for a 1kHz crossover point. Probably sounds pretty good, but I'll bet that tweeter horn is a bit of a compromise.

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18722 is a reply to message #18721] Thu, 20 April 2006 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

Big, but don't recall its exact dims and the rest of the data sheets isn't that specific. It's large enough to use down to 500 Hz in a lower power app:

GM

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18723 is a reply to message #18720] Thu, 20 April 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Greets!

Not much to tell beyond what WP has already said. Mounted in front of a LF driver, the tweeter can only be aligned at the XO point if electronic delay is used, while it can be physically done with the HF driver behind the LF's if properly designed. If the LF diaphragm acts as a horn extension, then its angle(s) and diameter determines its BW gain/polar response, so bigger is better. The abrupt/flexible change at the horn's metal mouth to LF diaphragm transition causes reflections back to the HF horn's throat, modulating its output somewhat, as does the LF's excursion, so won't be nearly as 'clean' as a well designed/built separate horn.

Bottom line, where space is a problem and/or the listening position is relatively close, the coax is a better choice IMO than a separate two way of comparable XO point/slope, but as the distance increases and/or the XO gets down around where our hearing acuity starts to roll off pretty good (~1 kHz), then an aligned two way separates makes more sense to me.

GM

Re: Two way- conventional and coaxial [message #18724 is a reply to message #18723] Thu, 20 April 2006 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks GM. That's some of what I wanted to know.

Dave

Previous Topic: array impedance
Next Topic: Neo8 vs. HI-VI RT8-II 8"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 18:06:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers