Home » Audio » Speaker » Port - front or back
Port - front or back [message #18570] Wed, 22 February 2006 17:43 Go to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
What are the tradeoffs between locating the port on the front or back of a bass reflex cabinet.

The project continues - picked up a pair of JBL 2446J compression drivers with 2385A flare. The flares are significantly bigger than the ones being replaced so that I have to do some significant rework of the front baffle to accomodate them.

The speaker cabinets are 4 Pi Towers with two four inch diameter (length 3.5 in) rear ports. Since I am redoing the baffles, I could easily locate the ports to the front.

My woofers are Eminence Delta Pro 15in in a 6.5 in cubic enclosure. In the corner behind the speakers are bass traps. Would relocating the ports to the front improve the bass?

Thanks
Hakn

Re: Port - front or back [message #18571 is a reply to message #18570] Thu, 23 February 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
No one can answer that. It depends on room placement, what the opther drivers are doing in terms of phase, etc.
The best way is trial & error.
Get a port plug, and make two ports, and then seal one.
-akhilesh

Re: Port - front or back [message #18572 is a reply to message #18570] Thu, 23 February 2006 08:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As long as a port isn't blocked, it makes no difference, front or rear. It forms a Helmholtz resonator and the frequencies of interest have very long wavelengths, completely omnidirectional.

Re: Port - front or back [message #18575 is a reply to message #18570] Thu, 23 February 2006 08:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As long as a port isn't blocked, it makes no difference, front or rear. It forms a Helmholtz resonator and the frequencies of interest have very long wavelengths, completely omnidirectional.

Previous Topic: fostex fe206esr
Next Topic: Small PA line-array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:37:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout