Home » Audio » Speaker » EV Aristrocats&JBLs
EV Aristrocats&JBLs [message #18491] Thu, 26 January 2006 00:02 Go to next message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
I recently tore apart the TLs I made for Eminence Beta 12 LTRs and moved a pair of Aristrocats into the living room and put a pair of JBL D-123s in them using Heil AMT-1s with a 6db high pass placed on top over the VCs of the JBLs. (5K, D-123s running free)
For those not familier with the Aristrocats, they were designed by Paul Klipsch in the 50s (mono days) and are basically a cross between a TL and a horn and made to use a corner for bass extention.
I don't have them in a corner but do have them kind of corner loaded with them sitting close to the wall and the sides of the tall isobaric subs, but facing straight ahead.
Extremly efficient, I am not sure of the D-123s, but I believe they are a tad higher than the 97 db of the Heils, but don't really know.
I did not try the Eminence in the cabinets but compared to them in the TLs the 1st thing that is real noticable is the much more prominent bass response that does not need lots of SPL. 2nd is the magic of the Heil crossed at 5K instead of 10K.
The sound is extremely natural and very fast. My good friend Russ Gates bought me a copy of the superb live recording "Jazz At The Pawnshop" and it is really like being in a small club with the musicians there. This CD is great, I imagine the vinyl in mint is even better.
After lots of years of looking I believe I have found something that borders on being great. If you ever see a pair of these "Crats", don't pass them by, take them home and put some great drivers in them and enjoy.
In the future I will reline the insides and try a bit of fiber to see how that works out, but don't think there will be any great amounts of improvement.
I really don't get on the puter much anymore, so if I don't reply to questions, please don't be upset. I will try and check back, but my internet connection is touch and go.

Hey Wayne! See you in Tulsa!

Re: EV Aristrocats&JBLs [message #18492 is a reply to message #18491] Thu, 26 January 2006 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
D123 is 96 db/watt per JBL specs, but I would say they sound more efficient when listening also.

I have mine in reflex cabinet with 075 bullet tweeter in 1959 GE distributed port corner cabinet that I keep in my bedroom along with a Marantz 2216B.

Being a 16 ohm system they draw only about 8 - 10 watts from the reciever.

Be advised the power handling of the D123 is only around 15 watts, I only use mine for low level listening. For higher level listening I use a single ended tube amp of not more than 9 watts.

This will ensure these drivers will last into the next decade and beyond.

Ron

Re: EV Aristrocats&JBLs [message #18493 is a reply to message #18491] Thu, 26 January 2006 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the Texans at the Great Plains Audiofest. Johan is bringing his speakers this year. I'm really looking forward to it.

Good to hear from you. Please don't be a stranger to ART if you can keep that computer in shape.

Re: EV Aristrocats&JBLs [message #18632 is a reply to message #18492] Thu, 02 March 2006 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
Ron,
Thanks for the SPL of the D-123s. It could well be the cabinets but they sure do seem to be higher than 96, but hey, once they are up above 95 and less than 100 it is hard to go wrong. I have noticed that over 100 db tends to be too reveiling unless the whole system is a bit above my economic level or one just gets lucky.
My 1st listen to D-123s were with the bullets in what I understood to be monitor cabs made by JBL. The drivers and crossovers were about to be sent to Japan, and the cabs lived with me a while till I gave them with some small magnet alnico coax to a buddy down in Austin. The JBLs were at Dennis Boyle's hooked up to his SE EL-34 Ace mono blocks and they sure did sound great. He was living in an old deco theater in those days and they sure filled that space up with great sound. It is hard to beat AlNiCo and paper for good drivers.

Re: EV Aristrocats&JBLs [message #18635 is a reply to message #18632] Thu, 02 March 2006 07:03 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One of the reasons the D123's sound louder is the aluminum dust cap which contributes quite a bit, but more so in the mid to upper frequencies.

On the bottom end, 96db sounds about right to me.

I wish I had a back-loaded horn enclosure to try mine in!

Ron

Previous Topic: Subwoofer port design question
Next Topic: Altecs/ Valencias
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:47:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers