Home » Audio » Speaker » eminence beta12CX
Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18454 is a reply to message #18450] Wed, 18 January 2006 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's an introductory price. Don't know how long it'll last or how much the regular price is. And yes, the crossovers are included. They are well made.

Dave

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18455 is a reply to message #18452] Wed, 18 January 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>How can we say this; even though as a muscician you may not care about playback, I would think that your training and constant application would qualify your ears to tell when something sounds good or doesn't were you to be asked seriously.
I know; believe me most musicians could care less about expensive or high quality audio. But they can tell if something sounds good or not; otherwise, how could they play?
Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18458 is a reply to message #18454] Wed, 18 January 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I gotta thy them! Thanks a lot! I think I'll make my baffle relatively large(or at least the "wings"). Is their anything you would do differently or anything you would like me try when I make mine?

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18460 is a reply to message #18458] Thu, 19 January 2006 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You might want to give this guy a holler. He has some interesting ideas. I haven't tried them yet, but may whip up something later in the spring. The baffles I made now are doing just fine, though.

Dave

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18461 is a reply to message #18455] Thu, 19 January 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll buy that. But in pop music it is all about listening. One learned by emulating one's heroes and then branching out on your own. One of the stipulations was how those individuals obtained the sound they realised. When I watched my fav drummers I always studied their kit and their sound. I can't see any other way.
I once hammered Dino Danelli for half an hour about his sound and how he arrived at it. I was about 15 at the time. Thats how we learned then.
In Jazz you would not even think of playing without first hearing the masters. I don't think it can be done. You sit at the feet and absorb everything about the sound in order to learn.
I guess it is different for classical muscicians.

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18463 is a reply to message #18461] Thu, 19 January 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In the traditional folk music field that I play in, some of us learn "by ear" and others learn by reading. I threw out the sheet music over twenty years ago. I know some people just can't play anything if they don't have the music right in front of them. I get frustrated with some of them, as folk-type music varies a lot with individual impressions of a song and what version of a traditional song a person performs. Someone who can only read and not play by ear can't pick up on what's going on if the song varies a bit from what's written in front of them.

Dave

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18464 is a reply to message #18463] Thu, 19 January 2006 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; Folk Music has such a wide and deep prescence I wish there were more posts surrounding the genre on this forum. So; do you have any good links?
I try to post about music on the forum only to drum up some interest and maybe get some hints at whats good for myself; alass, doesn't seem to go anywhere.
And I cannot listen to the faux jazz tweety birds everyone seems to be enamored of. Krall; Monheit; Jones. Can you get any more boring and flat and toneless and ... well; you get the idea.
Theres a good article in Atlantic Monthly about that very subject in this months issue; Nat Hentoff said; "If you tried to tap your toe to their jazz your foot would fall asleep."
But thanks for the replies and if you got any good suggestions.

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18465 is a reply to message #18464] Thu, 19 January 2006 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There are lots of sites for individual folk artists, but I haven't found any good disscusion sites yet.
What particular type of folk would you be interested in? Bluegrass, Old Time, Cajun/Zydeco, Celtic, balladry, modern folk, Folk Rock? All instrumental or more vocal oriented?

Dave

Good link for lots of artists [message #18466 is a reply to message #18464] Fri, 20 January 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
www.cdbaby.com

Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18467 is a reply to message #18465] Fri, 20 January 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I am not that knolwedgable regarding Folk Music. I know of stuff from the sixties; Ian and Sylvia/Theodore Bikel, people like that. Then I am slightly familiar with Blues in terms of regional differences like West Texas and Piedmont Style.
Of course The Clancy Brothers and Chieftains. I used to listen to the , Thistle and Shamrock hour.
But I like the real folk tunes from all countries. Carribean Calypso and Celtic Fife And Drum. Sea Chanteys like those Jerry Garcia favors. The basic and simple stuff. Like the music you hear on the Smithsonian Collection.
Old mining tunes. I used to study African Tribal music in order to steal some drum techniques when I was younger.

Previous Topic: Low frequency Xmax
Next Topic: Line array madness
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 04:21:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout