Home » Audio » General » Visit to Spkrman57's house (pic)
Re: And my 2ยข more [message #1837 is a reply to message #1836] Sun, 29 May 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Too many variables to know what's up with your particular setup, and that was precisely my point. Different drivers will act differently, both in cabinet tuning and interaction with the horn and crossover. What works with your drivers may or may not work when other models are used.

If you're running a second-order on the woofer, the output from the crossover measured across the woofer voice coil probably has a significant peak somewhere near the crossover point. Look at pages 14 and 15 of this crossover lab document to see what I mean.

If the driver and horn are falling off about the same place, then crossover peaking may help boost the top end, I suppose. That would make summing through the crossover difficult to predict, so the only way you'd know is to check it and see. This is all very implementation specific, and that was the point I wanted to make.

Wow! Makes my wittle head spin! [message #1838 is a reply to message #1834] Sun, 29 May 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like when the mean ol' putty 'tat chases me around the room.

In fairness to Dickinson (though I don't feel particularly charitable toward him) he was writing for theater owners and installers to convince them that the old stuff didn't have to be replaced to continue to provide satisfactory service - I don't know if Dickinson has the horsepower or not, but he might have written differently if it was written for speaker designers.

Me, I got no horsepower whatsoever. While I'm trying to digest this I want to ask a follow-up question: are these issues addressable by equalization? Not many active XOs (until the digital revolution ) had selectable slopes, etc...

Or put another way, is EQ a brute force way to address the kinds of things you're talking about with active analog XO that would be better addressed by the use of digital EQ that can be highly tailored?

Hope that makes sense?

One other observation [message #1839 is a reply to message #1838] Sun, 29 May 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If I remember right (and I probably don't, knowing me) the 3" port height reflects the -8G in the 828 enclosure which has about 8 ft^3 of reflex volume tuned to approximately 50Hz. I had it worked out in detail once upon a time but I can't seem to find the file right now.

Re: One other observation [message #1840 is a reply to message #1839] Sun, 29 May 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I appreciate the link and think it provides a lot of very valuable information. I just thought I'd throw in a few comments that I thought might be helpful too.

Understood - any comment about the EQ question? [message #1841 is a reply to message #1840] Mon, 30 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just wondering - ie the issues you talked about, do they equate to simple symetrical crossovers plus EQ in active systems?

Re: Understood - any comment about the EQ question? [message #1842 is a reply to message #1841] Mon, 30 May 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When there is interference between subsystems, you can't EQ that out. When two drivers cancel, the more energy you throw at them, the more there is to cancel. So if a crossover isn't setup properly, no amount if EQ can help.

If there is resonant peaking, that can be reduced by EQ. If there is rolled off response because of mechanical mass or inductance, that can be EQ'ed. But if there are ripples in the crossover region, that's not something you can equalize away.

Thanks very much! [message #1843 is a reply to message #1842] Mon, 30 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
-t

Previous Topic: Sprkman57 Got Me
Next Topic: The latest FM Tuner Shootout review is up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 08:09:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio