Home » Audio » Speaker » Snell upgrade?
Snell upgrade? [message #18135] Mon, 29 August 2005 13:38 Go to next message
Bryan is currently offline  Bryan
Esquire
I just moved to California from Massachusetts and instead of shipping my four Snell I am wondering if I should sell them put that money towards either a new set of four or another used set. The one thing I've been a little disappointed with in these speakers is how well they carry the bass.

I listen to a wide range of music so I need something that can carry the bass in Hip Hop, but I also want a real rich sound when I put on some acoustic guitar, or play a movie.

I like the real wood finishes on the Snells, so I want to keep that but am hoping for something that is a little more exciting to look at.

I'd really like to get something that's a little more rare- like the snells- as compared to say Infinity, JBL or the like.

I don't have a boatload of money so basically the money it would take to ship these ($400 I guess) plus the money I would make from selling them ($1000?) plus whatever I might be able to convince my wife of.

Any thoughts? maybe I should just keep the snells?

Re: Snell upgrade? [message #18136 is a reply to message #18135] Mon, 29 August 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan is currently offline  Bryan
Esquire
That should read: four snell E/II

Re: Snell upgrade? [message #18137 is a reply to message #18135] Mon, 29 August 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Snell/II; I wouldn't think it would take 400$ to ship them cross country. Did you get a price?
The Snell's are one of the best sounding speakers ever built. Just not for Hip-Hop.

STOP! [message #18141 is a reply to message #18135] Wed, 07 September 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
STOP! Selling those so that you can buy 2 prs of $700 speakers in MA, or even one $1400 pr. would be a huge mistake. They are absolutely terrific speakers; you'd miss them big time.

FIY - The Audio Note E, which is a descendant of that very speaker, starts at $4k/pr new. Older demo prs of a lesser version no longer made fetch $1600 or so.

Couldnt Throw My E's Far Enough [message #18178 is a reply to message #18135] Sat, 15 October 2005 16:44 Go to previous message
Mister Pig is currently offline  Mister Pig
Esquire
Worst speaker I ever bought were a pair of type E's. I don't beleive they were the II's though. One of the biggest audio mistakes I made was buying them, and selling a pair of Mourdant Short MS 30i's to finance them. I couldnt wait to trade them back to Echo Audio. Bought a pair of Cabasse Farella 401's, which brought me to the world of SET. Man the Snells imaged terrible, had alot of venetian effect to the soundstage, and had a very uninspiring midrange. Equipment I was using was a pair of Quicksilver Silver 90 amps,a Quicksilver Full Function Pre amp, Proceed PDP and PDT transport and DAC, several calbes including some Tara Labs Quantum 66 stuff. So I wasn't running them with junk. I still miss my MS 30i's, and would love to find another pair.

Regards
Mister Pig

Previous Topic: ESS HD 1200
Next Topic: esafono
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:46:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers