Home » Audio » Speaker » Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes
Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18067 is a reply to message #18025] Sun, 17 July 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd W. White is currently offline  Todd W. White
Chancellor
The 704-8A really does better, as does the Altec 604-8G/H/K, in a large box, around 9 cubic feet (internal volume).

Crossover is suggested no lower than 1500 Hz. A "K" crossover in very good operating condition works pretty good with the 704.

I agree - the 704 "likes" a little more power to get the low end working well, but mostly, I think, in order to handle transients in the modern digital media. They're the most efficient 2-way ever built in the Altec tradition, perhaps by anyone else, too, but they do like to have a big box and extra amplifier headroom.

As for box tuning, Jerry Hubbard tuned the Iconic Stonehenge V System we demonstrated at the GPAF at 40 Hz using a horizontal slot of 11" H x 2.5" v x .75" D.

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18071 is a reply to message #18067] Tue, 19 July 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Todd,

I am surprised at the port size dimensions. I would think with the T/S parameters of the 704-8A that it would like a lower port frequency.

Why the 40hz tuning and not something like 28hz which would be close to the 6" x 10" x 14" deep I was considering???

Ron

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18074 is a reply to message #18071] Tue, 19 July 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Not sure why Jerry Hubbard did that, but I'll be glad to ask...

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18076 is a reply to message #18074] Thu, 21 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Todd!

I still have time to change up my vent size choice. But until I get info to change my mind, I still think that 6" x 10" x 14" deep sounds more like what the T/S paramters would call for.

I would be interested in what your techie has to say!

Ron

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18079 is a reply to message #18076] Thu, 21 July 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

What you tune it to has to do with how much series resistance there is and the desired room/speaker placement, though some folks ignore these and tune them to a more personal taste, such as the 'West Coast Sound' championed by Altec, and now apparently by Iconic. Great party/DJ alignment, but no good for a more accurate reproduction in a typical wide BW HI-FI app of today.

One thing for sure though is that such a large vent you propose will have strong enough pipe harmonics that will audibly comb filter with the driver's response above ~250 Hz if not damped.

GM

704-8A tuning [message #18080 is a reply to message #18079] Thu, 21 July 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
GM,
Thanks for the reply. I take it that you are in agreement with Todd with the short depth port, is that correct?
Ron

Re: 704-8A tuning [message #18081 is a reply to message #18080] Thu, 21 July 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

You're welcome! Uh, no, not per se anyway. I mean you use whatever size vent that's required to keep vent speed low at whatever Fb you've chosen, and if it's big and/or long, then I recommend damping down its harmonics as required to smooth its response out.

WRT designs that use 3/4" long vents (baffle thickness only), it's my understanding that high cross sectional area (CSA):length vent ratios don't have enough acoustic inertance to work as well as when the ratio is reversed, so can be overdriven easier, allowing the driver to overexcurse since it needs a longer time period to 'pump up' (for lack of a better phrase). IOW the ducted port's much more rigid air mass 'piston' damps the driver better and is acoustically more efficient than the large, flimsy membrane of the shallow vent.

That said, I've compared them and found they both perform well and have designed/built many well received speakers using big CSA:length ratio vents rather than making/recommending multiple smaller, longer ones since learning of this, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

As always though YMMV.

GM

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18082 is a reply to message #18071] Fri, 22 July 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I talked with Jerry Hubbard about it yesterday, and he said that, given the size of the enclosure and the performance parameters of the 704-8A, it COULD be tuned a little lower(it currently has an F3 of 40 Hz), but not much. Therefore, he didn't think it was worth the effort - one could spend more time fiddling with the thing than listening to it...

With regard to the tuning port size/type, we looked at ducted ports, but Jerry pointed out that the speaker only "wants" to see a certain vent size, and doesn't really "care" how you achieve it as much as that it GETS the size it needs and can operate through it without having to work at it.

That said, we figured out it would take THREE large flared ports to accomplish the same thing we did with the horizontal vent, and the cost just didn't outweigh the advantages (if any).

When you listen to the 704-8A in the Stonehenge V enclosure, it performs almost effortlessly in the LF region (it does in the HF region too, but we're not talking about that right now), as does the "G" in the Model 17 and the "H" in the Model 18. So MANY speakers seem to have "work" hard to get the LF out to the listener - the 704-8A in the SH V box doesn't have this problem. In fact, the LF performance is very similar to listen to as the Model 19.

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18084 is a reply to message #18071] Wed, 27 July 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
I suppose modeling programs can be misleading and only listening (testing?) is the real measure but 28Hz tuning on a 9ft3 box looked real bass shy compared to 40Hz when I modeled enclosures for my 604-8G (which I'm sure isn't the same as your 704).

All I can say is that I'm very happy with a 40Hz tuned 9ft3 box for my G's. I don't know how much of a roll a wide baffle and dual side mounted vents of fairly large area (1 1/2" long) plays in the final product but I like the results.

Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes [message #18085 is a reply to message #18084] Thu, 28 July 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill - send me a e-mail through the forum - I lost your e-mail addee!

Ron

Previous Topic: Modding Some Acoustat Stuff
Next Topic: Line Array woofer system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 05:03:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers