Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone familiar with Smith Horns?
Anyone familiar with Smith Horns? [message #17733] Thu, 14 April 2005 14:09 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Specifically the JBL 2397. The guys at audioheritage suggested the 2397 as an upgrade to my 2380a biradial. Bunch of them seem to like this horn a lot and it seems easy enough to build from scratch (provided you have a set of adaptors). However, I'm looking for some second opinions here.

thx.

Re: Anyone familiar with Smith Horns? [message #17734 is a reply to message #17733] Thu, 14 April 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was going to tell you LH, then I noticed you found them there.

Doesn't Mr Widget have a good thread on building a scaled size Smith horn there?

See you on LH

Ron

I know what I've read.... [message #17735 is a reply to message #17734] Thu, 14 April 2005 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That they pre-date stereo.

That they're diffraction devices intended to produce a diffuse sound field for mono-listening

That if you're the sort of person who worries about stereo "image" you'll be disappointed in them.

Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17736 is a reply to message #17735] Fri, 15 April 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You know, this thing about directivity and imaging still has me confused. My understanding is that more directivity means less sidewall reflections, which in turn produces better imaging. However, highly directive sources tend to produce a very small sweetspot. Diffused sources create more reflections which hurts imaging. But if the room is good, it shouldn't be a problems, and can in fact produce a larger sweetspot, provided frequency response is uniform. Am I close?

Anyhow, looking at the diagrams on audioheritage, it seems pretty easy and cheap to mock one of these horns up. The only difficulty is getting a set of throat adaptors. If I can get a pair of adaptors inexpensively, I'll give these horns a try.

Gar.

Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17737 is a reply to message #17736] Sat, 16 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, I've started thinking that what most people call imaging is actually caused by polar anomalies. One thing that makes me think this is that headphones don't do it for people, yet they really localize the source of sounds. Likewise, if you listen to an orchestra or a vocalist, you hear the event live. No one ever talks about imaging.

Play a recording of the same event through speakers that are often cited as imaging well and you have made a subtle transformation. No sound reproducer is perfect, but I find one thing is in common with many of those speakers touted as being good at imaging. They tend to have certain characteristics that make them sound good in one spot but move your head around and it gets phasey.

It's an interesting effect, and I think that's what a whole lot of people are listening for when they talk about imaging. Just a hunch that I've begun to consider as I listen to speakers that produce this effect.

Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17738 is a reply to message #17736] Sat, 16 April 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Send me an email

Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17739 is a reply to message #17737] Sat, 16 April 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Wayne,

You have touched on, but perhaps circled around the main issue. In a concert setting, be it a symphony orchestra or a piano bar, there is no real sense of imaging, only a sense of presence. There are so many reflections in the concert hall that imaging in the hi-fi sense isn't possible. So what is imaging? Exactly what the recording engineer wants it to be. Almost all modern recordings are multi-mic'ed, usually with a mic for each performer and another one for his guitar. So, in the mix-down, any performer can be placed anywhere on the sound stage. We are not reproducing the performance, we are reproducing the mix.

Any decent speaker can be made to image from well to excellent by proper room placement or room treatment. Eliminate the early reflections and the speaker images. One would have to actually try to make a speaker that has inherently poor imaging. Presence is another issue, and is generally the opposite of imaging. The music seems to come from everywhere. This is the Bose effect, and I use it to impress the unwashed when demoing my system. I take a recording with pretty good imaging, like AKUS, and set my HT receiver to Pro-Logic with a significant delay. Presto -- Presence. They love it!

I'm, sorry, but I feel that a quest for imaging falls into the category of listening to the equipment rather than listening to the music.

Bob

Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17740 is a reply to message #17739] Sat, 16 April 2005 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I couldn't agree more, Bob. My point was that if imaging is what you're after, you won't get it from Smith diffraction horns.

Once upon a time I made the very point you make on another forum down the dial - that sitting at any reasonable distance from the performers in any venue there's no ability to pinpoint sounds, to localize individual instruments.

What was rather hilarious was one rejoinder. The person wrote that *because* you can't see the performers when listening to a recording it becomes especially important to insist on "imaging" to assist in "imagining".

Me, I like fidelity better.

Directivity, the reverberent field and "imaging" [message #17741 is a reply to message #17740] Sat, 16 April 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

On a similar note, we touched on these topics in the thread called "Favorite Flavors."
The pros of imaging [message #17742 is a reply to message #17739] Sun, 17 April 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice post, Bob. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that a lack of early reflections will lead most speakers to image well.

I guess some folk may actually prefer imaging for the "illusion" since that is all that reproduction is, right... creating an illusion?
Others might prefer "presence". I personally like imaging becuase it makes the vocalist or lead instruments appear more centered, and lends to the illusion that there is a real instrument playing... centered somewhere. Of course, you & Wayne are right: in a real performance, especially one that is electronically amplified, the singer's voice or lead instruments' notes will come from all over. However, in an unamplified performance, with a well damped room, the singers voice and the instruments should be localized, even in a live performance, no?

Based on the above discussion, perhaps imaging is good to create the illusion of a live umaplified performance, even if it were not really that way. That's probably one of the reasons why so many folk like single driverspeakers that image so much better (beaming etc) when listening to small arrangements (like one singer and 4-5 instruments).

Keeping the room treatment constant, it makes intuitivie sense that speakers with higher directivity will image better. What do you & Wayne think?

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Anyone here use the little .75 neo PE tweeter?
Next Topic: free download bass horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:49:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout