Home » Audio » Speaker » New Woofers: now what?(long)
New Woofers: now what?(long) [message #17726] Sun, 10 April 2005 18:07 Go to next message
Floyd Andrews is currently offline  Floyd Andrews
Baron
I just got a pair of 414-8c woofers from Great Plain Audio. These things are absolutely beautiful! For now they are going into a pair of approximately 1.5 ft.^3 P.A. cabinets that I have. They will be used with a pair of Altec 902's mounted on 650 hz Edgarhorn "salad bowls". At some point I will want to build a pair of optimized cabinets for them. So here's my question. What alignment? Vented, T-line, sealed, other? These woofers look so good that I'm tempted to try an open baffle so I can see them, but this doesn't really suit my room. I've been playing with Pi-align and WinISD to test my options for vented boxes. I've used Pi-align in the past and been very satisfied with the results. These programs give me optimum box sizes in the 1-2 cubic foot range. But the "mini-Onken" plans from Sound Practices have a box of approximately 6 cubic feet net. And a writer on another bulletin board suggested a box of 4 ft.^3. Modeling boxes that big in WinISD gives a big hump in response. I suppose I could flatten out the response with some series resistance, but this seems to negate the advantage of high efficiency woofers, no? I have a subwoofer/crossover/amp (o.k., I have several subwoofers in the garage, but who's counting) so getting the most low end extension is not necessary. What would you do?

Re: New Woofers: now what?(long) [message #17727 is a reply to message #17726] Sun, 10 April 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
BassBox says 1.07 ft^3, Fb @ 50 Hz.

Look at Altec's older systems with 414 [message #17728 is a reply to message #17727] Mon, 11 April 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe the Malibu was one model with a pair of 414's in them. These drivers are best in a larger ported cabinet. They are not woofers, but closer to "midbass" drivers(nothing wrong there-so is my JBL 2226's also). But don't look for heavy bass below 60 hz.

Ron

The problem I've had with Altec drivers... [message #17729 is a reply to message #17728] Mon, 11 April 2005 17:16 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
is looking at what they were put in and what you think they ought to be put into given the T/S parameters.

Since most of their design were pre-T/S, and they perpetuated the designs even after T/S - it's hard to say the original cabinets were the best possible choice, at least in my evaluations.

Previous Topic: FOSTEX FE166e
Next Topic: 8" Fostex Ideal Axis listening position
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:58:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout