Home » Audio » Speaker » Discontinuity in horn : is it important ?
Discontinuity in horn : is it important ? [message #17669] Wed, 23 March 2005 12:34 Go to next message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
What seems to me worthy (IMHO) in round (tractrix) horns is that you are able to perfectly match the horn to the driver throat in producing the same angle : all compression drivers have a conical output with some angle and you can start your horn with this angle. So there is strictly NO discontinuity.
Some spectral measurements we were able to achieve show that any discontinuity in a horn expension generates standing waves and turbulences..., I mean distortion.
Meanwhile, some high end wood horns (TAD, FOSTEX, MARTINELLI,...) show a clear discontinuity at the output of the adapter (the metal piece where the driver is bolted to).
So, my friends, do you attach some importance to this point or is it a "wrong" problem ?

Re: Discontinuity in horn : is it important ? [message #17670 is a reply to message #17669] Wed, 23 March 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is a terminus at both ends of all horns. An infinite horn is a theoretical thing. You can radius the edge to meet the baffle if you like, and you can match the entry of the horn to the built-in flare of the compression driver. Sometimes this makes a big difference, sometimes not. Best to model the horn and see, or measure a physical model if you have one available.

Re: Yes [message #17672 is a reply to message #17669] Thu, 24 March 2005 20:42 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I thought I had addressed this problem by making the conical throat piece. By using this throat, there is an exact match to to the driver which allows for some horn expansion before being blended into the rectangular part of the horn. Where as, like you say many square horns have immediate transitions from round to square. We worked to overcome that problem.

Bill

Previous Topic: Large Heils & Hi-Vi M8A's
Next Topic: Repeated JVC Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:40:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers