Home » Audio » Speaker » Verrry Interesting full-range
Verrry Interesting full-range [message #17657] Wed, 16 March 2005 04:50 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Anybody know this Galaxy line?

Re: Verrry Interesting full-range [message #17658 is a reply to message #17657] Wed, 16 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kinda looks like the old JBL 2105 and LE5 midrange drivers. If you pick one up, let us know how it sounds.

Re: Verrry Interesting full-range [message #17659 is a reply to message #17658] Wed, 16 March 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
It's probably not all that great, certainly not Lowther or Fostex smooth. They use those in "Hot Spot" vocal monitors for small lounge acts, where fidelity is not a particular concern. But I guess you never know 'til you try it.

Detailed maybe, but... [message #17660 is a reply to message #17659] Wed, 16 March 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Where have you heard a smooth Lowther?

Re: Verrry Interesting full-range [message #17661 is a reply to message #17657] Wed, 16 March 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
footstony is currently offline  footstony
Chancellor
Thanks Bill,

I agree it's verrry interesting (does anyone remember the tv show laugh-in)

Qes a bit high but i'd still like to see it backloaded with a mid bass horn.

make a cheap pa!

Philip

Re: Detailed maybe, but... [message #17662 is a reply to message #17660] Wed, 16 March 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master

In my living room!

Re: Detailed maybe, but... [message #17663 is a reply to message #17662] Wed, 16 March 2005 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

All kidding aside, you and Martin use response shaping components, which are an absolute necessity with Lowthers, in my opinion. You can use a Fostex driver in a minimalist system with no passive components and it sounds alright. But you can't do that with a Lowther. It's kind of like listening to a compresson driver without some form of EQ. Unbearable.

Re: Detailed maybe, but... [message #17664 is a reply to message #17663] Wed, 16 March 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Mine may be a minority opinion, but I cannot tolerate a tonally unbalanced speaker. IMO, almost any single driver full range speakers, even my FT-1600 with the Fostex FE167E requires a contour filter. An unfiltered full-ranger is shouty and forward with thin bass. I just can't do the politically correct no passive components think. IMO --YMMV

Bob

Re: Detailed maybe, but... [message #17665 is a reply to message #17664] Wed, 16 March 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree completely. If I were going to implement a single driver solution, I'd probably do it the same way and for the same reasons.

My solutions are not so different philosophically. I tend to like having a single driver carry the majority of information, and to cover the entire vocal range.

In my smaller systems, the main driver covers bass and vocals, and the tweeter only covers the frequencies well above the vocal overtones. It's like a single driver with a supertweeter.

In my larger systems, the midrange is run without an electrical crossover. It's like the main driver in my smaller systems but there is a sub added below them. The woofer is sent only information below that which the midrange is capable of reproducing. Likewise, the tweeter is crossed over where the midrange is out of gas, and both response and directivity are matched. So this is like a single driver with a built-in sub and a supertweeter and where the directivity of all subsystems is matched.

Re: Verrry Interesting full-range [message #17699 is a reply to message #17657] Wed, 30 March 2005 21:26 Go to previous message
footstony is currently offline  footstony
Chancellor
Thanks for the tip Bill. I've just ordered one. I'm in Australia so I have to wait till it comes. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Regards Philip

Previous Topic: Looking for an 8" driver
Next Topic: Confused about amp output, sensitivity and speaker SPL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:14:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers