Home » Audio » Speaker » Has Anyone used the Foster W-422?
Has Anyone used the Foster W-422? [message #17638] Mon, 07 March 2005 07:36 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
They're an ancestor of the Fostex FE103, apparently, but with alnico magnets. Rated for 2w continuous, 8w peaks. Good thing I'm planning a 2A3 amp!

I've seen discussions on FE103's, FE103E's, RS1197's in BR, Voigt Pipes, TL and back horns, but nothing really on this driver. I'm leaning toward the back horn Fostex recommends for the FE103E. Kinda wish Madisound made a flat pack kit it . . .

Re: Has Anyone used the Foster W-422? [message #17641 is a reply to message #17638] Mon, 07 March 2005 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Talk with Bob Brines and Martin King. They've done a lot of work on cabinets for Fostex drivers and I think you'll find their experience very valuable.

Re: Has Anyone used the Foster W-422? [message #17644 is a reply to message #17638] Tue, 08 March 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I could probably help with a flat pack if you decide to go that way. Might be able to arrange a loan of Buschhorn MK2 pair to try with your drivers, too.

John

Re: Has Anyone used the Foster W-422? [message #17645 is a reply to message #17644] Tue, 08 March 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wow! I may take you up on one or both of those options! I'm assuming you've heard, maybe built, the Buschhorns. How did they sound? With what driver, in what system, what size room, blah blah blah. Not like the Karlson, I'd assume!

The Buschhorn Mk2 is the one option I forgot to mention. I'm sitting here looking at the plans for the Fostex plan and the Buschhorn Mk2, and it seems to me that the Buschhorn is probably ahead on several fronts:

1) They're taller - 39" vs. 33" - which would put them much closer to seated ear level.

2) They're simpler! 22 parts to the Fostex, 13 for the Buschhorn

3) Less "kinky". The back wave in the Fostex makes a 180 degree turn and returns to the front before making the 90 downward. The Buschhorn just runs to the back and makes the 90. All the turns in the Fostex are square. The horn doesn't so much flare as it gets bigger in jumps as it goes around corners. The Buschhorn flares and looks a lot smoother.

4) The Fostex mouth is in front; the Buschhorn in back. I would think the Buschhorn in a corner or near a rear wall would have better bass reinforcement.

On the other hand, it appears that the horn length is longer on the Fostex, which is said to be tuned to 50hz. I'll have to look for that info on the Buschhorn.

On the whole, I think I'm leaning toward the Buschhorns, from what I can see on paper, and we all know how dangerous that is!

Sending payment on the drivers as soon as I have shipping charges (from Canada). May go air if it's not too dreadful. As Carly Simon sang, "An-ti-ci-pay-ay-tion . . ."

Re: Don't waste your time [message #17647 is a reply to message #17638] Wed, 09 March 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You may recall I built the factory horn FE103E last year. After more than 200 hours, a lot of it blasting really loud techno and hard rock, it still sounded sounded like an AM radio above middle "C". And you read many posts everywhere, including most recently on Bottlehead about the Fostex sound, beaming highs, peaks in the highs, presence bump; all the more polite way of saying they suck. Too bad 'cause the lower mids are truly gorgeous.
Now Jim Griffins Aurum Cantus/Jordan combo could be a winner...

Re: Don't waste your time [message #17648 is a reply to message #17647] Wed, 09 March 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I had forgotten - something I'm getting alarmingly good at!

Yes, I've read the discussions, but thought I'd give them a whirl as a small cheap experiment, as opposed to the huge expensive experiment with the TADs/JBLs. I'm hoping that the lack of a whizzer cone and the addition of a phase plug may sort some of that out, to say nothing of the alnico magnets. There's also a filter approach to the peak.

Worst comes to worst, I may put them in a Tractrix horn and use them for midrange only.

Thanks for the input!

Buschhorn [message #17649 is a reply to message #17645] Wed, 09 March 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Dave, quick note as I run out the door, hoping Kennedy airport isn't shut down too badly. The Bhorns currently have tweaked 1197s in them, and I've build them for Fostex 108s (which smoke the 1197s). I think they're the best thing you can do with a little single driver. Once broken in, the bass is pretty good, but the rest is wonderful. I've heard them in several different rooms, on very different gear, SS to Bottlehead, vinyl and digital - to me they're an excellent example of how to make single driver magic. Unfortunately they had to leave the room because I had to shunt the voicecoils every time I cranked the Karlsons - I think the 1197s would actually knock. Much higher WAF than the Ks though
I'll be back the end of next week, I'll send phone #.

John

Re: Buschhorn [message #17650 is a reply to message #17649] Wed, 09 March 2005 07:31 Go to previous message
Master
Safe travels!

In the chasing of this notion I've fallen over a guy who specializes in this sort of beast - sells wooden phase plugs for various FR drivers, has damped the basket and magnet structure, etc. He favors the BD design which uses 2 per cab, one firing upward and back @ 45degrees. Interesting stuff on his site about various obscure tweeters as well. I may run these FR and augment with the TAD 1602, depending on how the things sound alone.

I'm sure they do have higher WAF than Karlsons, or my TAD beasts! LOL.

Look forward to experimenting!

Previous Topic: Volume dropping/bsc filtering
Next Topic: I'm starting my first NSB line array... quick questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:10:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers