Home » Audio » Speaker » Cheap high efficiency speaker
Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17238] Sun, 12 December 2004 12:10 Go to next message
Dan is currently offline  Dan
Chancellor
I need recommendations for inexpensive high efficiency speakers. I have an old solid state Dynaco amp and a tube FM3 tuner that my dad gave me and I think I may replace the Dynaco amp with a tube amp (with low power) in the future. I need speakers now so I figured it makes sense to get efficient speakers that would work with a tube amp.

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17241 is a reply to message #17238] Sun, 12 December 2004 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Head on over to the Pi site. There are many models at various price points that are great deals and work well with tubes.

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17242 is a reply to message #17238] Mon, 13 December 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Are you looking for recommendations on drivers for DIY, or are you looking for complete speaker systems?

Dave

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17244 is a reply to message #17242] Tue, 14 December 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I am looking for a pair of speakers that I don't need to put together that are efficient enough such that they will play loudly enough with a low power tube amp (DEC Zen maybe) that my wife will hopefully let me buy in the future. Right now I have a solid state dynaco preamp and amp that my dad built and a FM3 tube tuner that is awesome that my dad also built in the late 60's or early 70's. I would like to connect the tuner (which has a volume control) to a tube amp. From what I have read, the early Dynaco solid state preamps and amps aren't all that great so those will go into storage. Are the Klipsh speakers any good? Thanks!!

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17245 is a reply to message #17244] Tue, 14 December 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I owned several of the Klipsch models and have always liked their sound. If you can find on E-bay the KG-2 or the rarer model KG4 they are cheap and very good as well as efficient.

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17246 is a reply to message #17238] Thu, 16 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
See link below for a list of high efficency speakers. One warning: the words cheap and high efficiency pre-builts do not go together. You might look at Omega or Pi. If you do not plan to build yourself, seek out a local cabinet maker. You might be surprised at how affordable boxes can be made. Also, is there a local votech in your area? You can usually contact the shop teacher and see if they will do custom projects. It's good practice for the students and you could wind up with nice cabs for next to nothing.....Colin

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17247 is a reply to message #17241] Fri, 17 December 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for all of your help! I will check out the Pi speakers.

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17248 is a reply to message #17238] Sat, 18 December 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Dan,
What's your price range? Maybe that will help us give you more specific recos.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17250 is a reply to message #17248] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I would like to spend less than $400 if possible. I was thinking of a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers if I can't do better. Thanks!!

Re: Cheap high efficiency speaker [message #17252 is a reply to message #17250] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just my opinion, but if I were looking for a pair of $400 speakers, I think I'd put a lot of priorities ahead of efficiency, such as frequency response and bass distortion (sometimes hard to find info on). High efficiency AND high quality may not be available new for $400 complete. Of course, I haven't seen all the $400 models out there...

Dave

Previous Topic: New single driver boom box system
Next Topic: How do you post pictures?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 00:36:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers