Home » Audio » Speaker » Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"...
Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17227] Wed, 08 December 2004 07:59 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
... because I don't like my speakers flat.

I've been playing with the attenuation level of the HF horns on my speakers and had it running "flat" for a couple of weeks. This is not "measured flat" mind you. But "flat" as defined by modeling the crossover value against manufacturer's response curves. The components are JBL 2235 and 2445/2380.

The "flat" setup was very nice. Warm, smooth, mellow, inviting. But not involving at all. It didn't have any of that "draw you in, I want to pay attention to this" quality at all. Perfect if all you want is background music.

Now, bump the mid/hi frequency (800Hz+) up by 4-6dB and everything changed. We're back to listen on the edge of your seat, 100% of your attention on the music again.

To each their own I guess.

Gar.

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17228 is a reply to message #17227] Wed, 08 December 2004 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Maybe it's your room? Lotta furniture in there?

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17229 is a reply to message #17227] Thu, 09 December 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gar,

You might find you like the early Klipsch sound because all their speakers were a little hot in the upper midrange. Some single driver speakers have this kind of extra presence too.

Wayne

Welcome to the NON purist group! [message #17230 is a reply to message #17227] Thu, 09 December 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I start with "textbook" figures, then I use my ear to fine-tune to my personal likes.

And I am sure my hearing is not flat!!!!!

Ron

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17231 is a reply to message #17227] Thu, 09 December 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
I had an exchange about this on another board a few months ago and it was obvious to me that my opinion was wrong. The general concensus was that the only important things are accuracy and neutrality. Of course I beg to differ, for me the only thing is enjoyment and pleasure. If my system sounds good to me and my wife or friends, then it's better than a system that's accurate and neutral but unliked by me and the afore mentioned others. Your mileage may vary.

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17232 is a reply to message #17227] Thu, 09 December 2004 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I dont think any of use are,nor want to be

You might want to take some measurements at your head position,to see what the frequency response is

Personally,I run about 3-12db more sub bass than the rest,simply because I love the bass,and dislike loud distorting LE mains.

Cheers!

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17239 is a reply to message #17227] Sun, 12 December 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Use what sounds good to you and don't worry about anyone else. Remember, no matter how "flat" a speaker measures in an anechoic chamber, as soon as the sound from it enters your listening room it is altered. What sounds good in your room is all that matters.

Dave:)

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17240 is a reply to message #17229] Sun, 12 December 2004 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I like the sound of classic Klipsch Heritage speakers, and the sound of old classic fullrange drivers like EV. As long as it sounds "right" to me, what else matters, right? The heck with what those "audiophiles" think. They are all a bunch of weenies, anyway.

Dave:)

Re: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"... [message #17313 is a reply to message #17227] Sat, 08 January 2005 13:30 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
This really is the problem isn't it? We all can prefer "non-flat" at times, on certain recordings, etc. etc. Makes us the Sound Engineer!! What fun. But then it's not really "Hi-Fidelity reproduction" anymore is it? Not when we insert ourselves and our personal preferences into the mix.

Over the long haul, I have always prefered flat. Its the only thing that I don't get tired of. And here I mean measured "flat" - direct sound and reverberant sound, axial response and power response.

Previous Topic: Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns
Next Topic: Trying to understand bass "quality"....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:53:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio