Home » Audio » Speaker » Suggestions for replacement driver for buddies DJ rig
Suggestions for replacement driver for buddies DJ rig [message #17216] Wed, 01 December 2004 15:43 Go to next message
pickle is currently offline  pickle
Chancellor
The probably belongs in the PA forums, but thought I might get quicker response here.

My buddy has two big Peavy bass bins. They were equipped with the Peavey Black Widow 18 inch driver model 1801. I have discovered that both of the drivers are now inop. As a side note, his WHOLE trailer of DJ gear was stolen at night 3 weeks ago. He even had a regular good hitch lock on it! Anyway, since these bins weren't working, they were in the garage. I took the drivers out, and yes, they don't work. Now, since he has to start replacing gear anyway, I'm suggesting using the existing cabinets and putting better, beefier drivers in. I finally found the PDF for the cabinet; turns out it really is less like a sub and more just a big woofer. The cabinet tuning is 42hz BR.
It is down something like -3db at 42 hz and -10db at 35hz.
I was thinking of suggesting a PE 500 or 1000 watt sub plate amp, and a different driver. My question is, what driver would you recommend for this box? Perhaps one that is capable of better VLF performance, even though the box tuning is high?
I think I'd like to recommend something under $250 per driver. I don't think I want to mess around with having him change the box tuning, although perhaps we could add some more fill and effectively lower it. Anything in PE's 18 woofer selection that looks like a decent performing choice to you guys??
Or perhaps, even though the box is tuned to 42, with the right driver and some possible EQ boost from the plate amp, we can get it a bit deeper??
Thanks

MBB

Re: Suggestions for replacement driver for buddies DJ rig [message #17217 is a reply to message #17216] Wed, 01 December 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
Bit of a look and quick modelling reveals :
The B&C 18PZB46 (PE 294-674) looks a good candidate due to its Xmax figure, although just outside the price range.

The box WILL have to be retuned as tuning is mainly a function of the port. The size of the Peavey box extends the low end of the B&C somewhat. From what I can tell with the photo of the Peavey, you can cut the port out to the bottom of the cabinet (keep same port width) and box it in with timber to a depth of 276mm (10.9"). This opens the port to minimise port noise associated with higher power and retunes it to around 38Hz. The response shows -3dB around 34Hz, with full power available, and a small hump at 40Hz. Should kick.

Cheers
Graeme

Thanks. Anyone had any experience with these B&C drivers? [message #17218 is a reply to message #17217] Wed, 01 December 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I don't know anything about them.

MBB

Also, where did you see [message #17219 is a reply to message #17217] Wed, 01 December 2004 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
the measurements for the current port? I didn't see them in the pdf

JBL 2241 [message #17220 is a reply to message #17216] Wed, 01 December 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
How 'bout some JBL 2241's? They'll do pretty well in a 10ft3 box. Best if tuned to 30Hz or 35Hz but 42Hz isn't too bad.

If tuned to 35Hz, it will be flat down to f3 of 35Hz and f10 of 28Hz. If no cabinet changes are made, the existing 42Hz tuning will give a small 2dB rise at 50Hz.

Re: Also, where did you see [message #17221 is a reply to message #17219] Wed, 01 December 2004 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I just guessed from the photo that it looks to be around 12" wide and 4" high, and in most Peaveys the vent depth is just the baffle thickness.

Whilst I have not used the B&C drivers myself, they have a good reputations and are used by a number of manufacturers such as Yorkville etc. Should be a good driver.

Cheers
Graeme

Eminence Magnum 18HO [message #17222 is a reply to message #17216] Wed, 01 December 2004 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
An Eminence Magnum 18HO will work in that enclosure. You can purchase them new for about the same price as a used JBL 2241. It has a shorting ring like the JBLs, so it's a nice driver.

Like the 2241, it would be flatter if the cabinet were tuned a little differently, but as it is - 10ft3 at 42Hz, it will have about the same response curve as the 2241 in that box. Flat down to 40Hz or so with a slight 2dB rise at 50Hz. I'd say this is a pretty good choice.

Re: Port [message #17223 is a reply to message #17222] Wed, 01 December 2004 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Another good choice.

With any of these drivers, a substantial increase in box power most likely will give rise to air speed noise in the standard Peavey port, so opening up this port to slow air speed will be required. Of course, this then means the depth of the port has to be increased for tuning, and may as well tune it to where neccessary at that time.

Cheers
Graeme

Re: Port [message #17224 is a reply to message #17223] Wed, 01 December 2004 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Might be good to change the port and reduce the Helmholtz frequency slightly too. But I think each of the drivers we've mentioned on this thread will offer improved performance even in the existing box without changes.

Re: JBL 2241 [message #17225 is a reply to message #17220] Wed, 01 December 2004 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Probably too much $ for him; personally I prefer the 2242H.

Previous Topic: Cool single driver speakers from Japan
Next Topic: Fostex Tallboy at Madisound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 06:14:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout