Home » Audio » Speaker » Audio Note Speakers
Audio Note Speakers [message #17200] Fri, 12 November 2004 11:11 Go to next message
footsurg is currently offline  footsurg
Chancellor
I have been secretly building a 6550 based amp from a kit made by Audio Note. It is known as the Kit 2. The unit is single ended, pushes 17W and feeds the output through a double triode 6sn7gt. It of course uses the excellent Audio Note output transformers and no negative feedback is used. The unit is "supercharged" with all Audio Note silver in foil caps in the output stages and Black Gates for the output coupling caps. I am very close to completion of this project and plan to pair it with the Audio Note speakers. I am looking at the AN-E series which is a 2 way speaker based loosely on the Snell D series of the early 70's. The speakers are rated at 94 db/spl. Most who use this combination say they are blown away by it.

I was curious if anyone in this forum has had any experience with these speakers. If so can you share your impressions?

Mark

Re: Audio Note Speakers [message #17201 is a reply to message #17200] Sat, 13 November 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mark,

David Cope (Triode & Co.) is the Audio Note distributor for USA and has been a sponsor of ART since it began. He was at MAF last year with a pair of E's and a pair of Silver J's and I thought they sounded quite nice.

Wayne

Re: Audio Note Speakers [message #17203 is a reply to message #17201] Sat, 13 November 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andreas paulsen is currently offline  andreas paulsen
Baron
I have been listening to audio note speakers at the local shop (www.audioconsult.dk) and I find the sound quite nice. The speakers however, benefits quite a lot from corner placement. Alternatively standing against the wall. They are not the typical slimline floorstander of modern - hype - design.

Cheers
Andreas

Re: Audio Note Speakers [message #17204 is a reply to message #17200] Tue, 16 November 2004 14:06 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Hi Mark,

You're going to have plenty of refined gusto in that amp when it's done. Very nice.

The E actually has its origins in the Snell E/II, not the D. When Snell decided to change the cabinet, Peter Q bought all the remaining old style cabinets, and later obtained permission to build more himself. The speaker has evolved quite a lot since that time, and is now available in two kits versions and 10 (count 'em!) ten finished product versions. (to say nothing of about twenty veneer choices, plus piano lacquer . . .)

The two kit versions (audionotekits.com) are available std (94) and high efficiency (nearly 98dB/w/m!). With your amp, I'd say you don't need the HiEff, unless your living room is the size of an airplane hanger! Knock down pre cut cabinet kits are available, if you prefer.

I can help you sort out the finished product versions, if you like. There are too many to go into as a broadside/sidebar here.

What else is in the system the amp will go into?

"I'm a strong believer in hearsay. I'll only say something about things I've actually heard."

Previous Topic: Doping
Next Topic: New low distortion Peerless XXLS 10" and 12" Subwoofers w/shorting ring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:04:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio