Home » Audio » General » Magnetic Tape
Magnetic Tape [message #163] Mon, 26 January 2004 20:38 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wonder if this place should have a magnetic tape forum? I'm not sure how active it would be, particularly at first. But I have both reel-to-reel and casette tape drives, and I realized there wasn't antplace I knew of that talked about them.

One drive I have is the Pioneer RT-909. It's a good, general purpose reel-to-reel and it has remained very popular. It isn't sold new anymore, but they go like hotcakes on eBay. They sold new for about a grand, and they've really held their value. A used one that is well-maintained is worth as much as it sold for new; Broken ones still sell for $300 and $400 on eBay. They are easy to maintain and Pioneer still has many parts in inventory, but some parts are out of stock and aren't produced anymore. Still, it is a good and popular reel-to-reel and it sounds very good.

Cassette has always been important to me too. In the 70's and 80's, cassette was the popular media for portable and car sound. If you wanted hi-fi in the car, you had to own very good quality cassette decks. Not only did your car deck need to be good, but you had to have a good recorder at home, because most store-bought tapes weren't very good. Treble response was usually terrible, and the general quality of the recording was poor.

What I found was that the best cassette recorders had a record bias adjustment, and this is still true today. The tape head must be aligned and clean, and obviously the deck must be of good quality. But even if all these things were fine, the absense of a bias adjustment limited your ability to make quality recordings on various tapes.

A modern cassette tape deck I've found that has this feature is the Sony KA1 (TA-KA1 ESA). If you have need for recording high quality cassettes, I recommend this deck. It only costs a few hundred dollars, and makes high-quality recordings on all types of tapes.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #164 is a reply to message #163] Mon, 26 January 2004 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AI is currently offline  AI
Esquire
I have well over 1000 cassettes and still bring them out to archive/back-up. Many of these are live performaces and I used TDK SA and TDK SAX in the 70's and shifted to TDK MAR with the cast aluminum shell. I probably have 300 MAR tapes. I also used Maxell UDXLII when the TDK was out of stock. For many of the tapes, I archive to VHS HI FI. These days is it more economical to transfer them to CD. The VHS HI FI does a great job and is very reliable. In 1984, I purchased a Mitsubishi VHS HI FI and I have 20 year old tapes that still work fine. I got away from the reel to reel 1/4" machines though.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #165 is a reply to message #164] Mon, 26 January 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like you've gone in an excellent, high-quality direction.

How popular do you think magnetic tape is today? Do you think there are there still lots of people that use some form of audio tape for hi-fi?

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #166 is a reply to message #165] Tue, 27 January 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The magnetic tape could possibly relate to the request I made
to put up a digital editing discussion for a product like
Goldwave. GW also has no hame for discussion. I started with
digital editing and archiving from old 'airchecks' on audiotape.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #167 is a reply to message #166] Tue, 27 January 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Lon!

You might be right - That might be another good discussion group. Does it not fit into the Digital Editor or Pro Audio Processor category though? If so, there already are discussion forums here at the Digital Audio and Pro Audio forums.

One thing I've found about discussion boards like this is that once you've posted something, internet search engines pick it up and within a couple of months, people with interest can find it and join in the discussion. This is particularly true if the subject of interest is contained in the subject title of your post. As an example, I noticed the Vintage Radio forum wasn't listed in search engine results for "tube radio forum." So by making a post with that in its subject title, search engines will pick it up and help tube radio enthusiasts find the forum. The subject name is the next most important thing to the forum name in search engine results.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #168 is a reply to message #163] Tue, 27 January 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
hi wayne
personally i think theres lots of forums already.
could this cassette tape,fit into any existing categories?
-vintage?

or what about 'turntables vinyl and cassette'
or just rename it 'analog replay' or something similar..

so that the analog devices are in their own
and the digital audio are in their own category already...
:-)

If u cut the pie into many slices for many...there is only a tiny bit each..

Cheers!
mike.e

Gold wave is an ok editor. [message #169 is a reply to message #166] Tue, 27 January 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Personally, Soundforge 6.0 or 7.0 is the cleanest one I use.

Perhaps this can be put in pro sound.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #170 is a reply to message #165] Tue, 27 January 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Those who are serious professions "resort " to it. The digital realm holds excitement and promise as the best way to go. With 32 bit "bit depth" and 384K sampling FQ, their is no distinction from the original that is audible or measureable. The editing power is immense and the non-phase shift equilization unmatched.

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #171 is a reply to message #168] Wed, 28 January 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I second the idea of having vinyl and tape together. I suspect there won't be a lot of activity for just tape. I still use cassette to record my band rehearsals on my Tascam 133 with good results, but don't know anyone else who still use tape.

Dave

Re: Magnetic Tape [message #172 is a reply to message #167] Wed, 28 January 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I had a Denon 3head cassett with a time remaining feature that was very accurate. I could add the song times and calculate exact 45 minute sets. Somtimes the song would end right within 5 seconds left on the tape. When it died I tried evey Denon site including the East Coast sales dept. but for some reason no one could repair that particular function; boy do I miss that! Wayne I think there is pent up demand for R to R info. I still use my Akai to make party tapes off the Turntable but I sure would like to expand the Tape knowledge. Even considering a good ten inch, maybe Teac before they get too popular and run up the price. I hate ebay.

Previous Topic: DIYWisconsin Speakerbuilding inquiry -- Repost
Next Topic: Go Patriots !
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:09:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout