Home » Audio » General » An observation from GPAF
Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1669 is a reply to message #1667] Fri, 06 May 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barry Solof is currently offline  Barry Solof
Chancellor
You have brought up a good point.

The different preferences might have been conscious bias (or an agenda). I don't know. Bias (and its evil twin politics) wasn't something I had considered from the people who where not exhibiting.

It makes sense that a speaker builder/seller would be biased. How could they not be? If they go to the trouble of building a speaker it only follows they will build one that is pleasing to their own taste. For example, Wayne often excuses himself from making observations about other folks gear because he knows he'd appear biased. It is a given that a vendor would be biased towards their own creation. No news there.

But you are right, there could be a great deal of bias for the folks who just came to listen.

Admittedly, the premise of the audio show in small hotel rooms may be seriously flawed but it still is a way to get exposed to a lot of different equipment.

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1670 is a reply to message #1631] Fri, 06 May 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Very thought-provoking post, Barry. If I may offer a few rambles that may (or may not) apply...

Ever notice how it's mostly us guys who get so deep into the music? My theory is that, for many of us, music is where we go to feel emotions that otherwise, for whatever reason, are "off limits" for us. When I really, really listen to music, it's more with my heart than with my head. But I have found that the more deeply I hear into a performance, the more I deeply can feel it. This could become a long tangent, so I'll try to get back on track now.

To me, a speaker must do two things. First, it must do something so well, so magically, that I can suspend disbelief and escape into the illusion. That something can be imaging, coherence, natural timbre, natural and/or pleasing tonal balance, richness & ambience, bass "slam", inner detail & nuance, dynamic impact, whatever. But it has to do something very, very well. Now just what qualities have our highest priority on depends on our individual taste, listening style, experiences and expectations, degree and type of hearing loss, and limitations imposed by our environment.

The other thing that a loudspeaker must do is less obvious, but perhaps just as important. That is, it must not introduce colorations or inadequacies severe enough to distract us and spoil the illusion. Here is where I think the variation from one individual to another is the greatest - that is, I think there is enormous variation in our tolerance level for different inadequacies. For example, I'm fairly forgiving of less than perfect bass or poor imaging or limited dynamics, but have a very low tolerance for boxiness or upper midrange/lower treble overemphasis or long-term listening fatigue. I can think of quite a few speakers that have abundant "magical" qualities, and for me it is the relative absence of glitches that ruin the illusion that would be the deciding factor between them.

So I would speculate that the widely differing opinions you observed among GPAF attendees has not only to do with our individual likes, but perhaps ever more with our individual dislikes. I say this because, for me at least, the deciding factor between Speaker A and Speaker B is often the relative absence of aberrations that collapse the illusion and sever my emotional connection to the music.

Duke

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1672 is a reply to message #1669] Fri, 06 May 2005 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for pursuing this because I have had a suspicion for some time that there is a political component to the discussion that; while hidden, influences all of this debate.
Simply put; if an individual is surrounded by a viewpoint they would tend to adopt that viewpoint until at some junction their ability to be subjectively neutral is co-opted.
You participate in a group that favors SE amps and Efficient speakers thereby that is what you are exposed to and that is what you by definition decide is correct. The folks you hang with agree and validate your position. You are rewarded emotionally by participation and the positive feedback from the members of your group.
You adopt a set of theories or perform a set of measurements geared to promote the tenets of your beliefs that serves to award the appearence of a technical legitimacy to your value system.
Over time your hearing adjusts to satisfy the need to fulfill this philosophy and reap the emotional windfall of approval from those of the group.
Now you are armed and ready to defend this structure; and as such will refuse to consider whatever is not in keeping with this belief system since that would invalidate the purpose of this creation.
Your hearing is now captive to the point of view and subliminally you will promote your position regardless of or maybe your not even able to distinguish from another equally valid position.
Hearing will defy measured response results and measured response results will disagree with hearing. Or you will take sides due to an absolute inability to process material not in step with the point of view.
Science guys will insist they listen first only to confirm the measurements; already knowing in advance from long practice what methods will produce what results.
Listeners without competent science backgrounds will deny the ability of measured results to adjust for independant organic analysis.
Mediators will provide for quasi-technical explanations that seek to create false congruencies between the two camps.
All-in all the music preferences will define which system works best with each venue; or type of recording and that will be the false proofs cited by each camp picking recordings that flatter that assemblage of equipment.
Too much bandwidth but I really want to thank you for using reason to point out the discrepencies at the show; I really think your post is the crux of audio definitions and it is the first I have read to quantify and expose this whole argument. I hope you choose to follow this up. Thanks J.R.

Re: Wo. [message #1684 is a reply to message #1655] Sat, 07 May 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I read once "Don't expect the recording of a Steinway Grand piano to sound any better on your stereo in your room than having the real thing would in there." All recordings are a minitureization of the event.

Re: An observation from GPAF [message #1694 is a reply to message #1672] Sun, 08 May 2005 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barry Solof is currently offline  Barry Solof
Chancellor
Wow. Let me try to take a bite out of all you have said.

>The folks you hang with agree and validate your position. You are rewarded emotionally by participation and the positive feedback from the members of your group.

This is true of audio (as well as many other beliefs in life) and it has a couple of sides to it. You may become a believer of the cause (triodes, transistors, vinyl, mp3's) because you meet a group of folks that believe that cause. You talk with them and like them and eventually absorb their philosopy as your own. Alternatively, you may hang with that group because you already believe and are looking for people to help justify your beliefs. This isn't just an "audio" thing since it happens in politics, too.

>Over time your hearing adjusts to satisfy the need to fulfill this philosophy and reap the emotional windfall of approval from those of the group.

Perhaps. I've met audio zealots that could only listen to a certain type of equipment. But most folks at the show didn't seem to be that way. For example, there were a lot of positive reactions to Dr. Geddes speaker even though it was being demo'd with a solid state amp. It sure wasn't what a SET crowd would expect.

If everything was tied to a belief system as strongly as you have implied the set/high efficiency crowd would have snubbed the speaker. This clearly did not happen. It wasn't always each listeners favorite speaker but everyone seemed rather pleased with it overall and always ranked it highly.

There were horn guys heaping a lot of praise on the FredArrays, too. If there were really an "agenda" then Fred's babies would have been snubbed by the horn guys. It just didn't happen that way.

Fred's post on the differences in his audio clubs sort of hit close to home. One group spending freely on one type of technology and another group taking a completely different road. Neither of them right and neither wrong (and Fred seems to like them both).

>Science guys listen first only to confirm the measurements.
>Listeners without science backgrounds will deny the ability of measured results to adjust for independant organic analysis.
>Mediators will provide for quasi-technical explanations that seek to create false congruencies between the two camps.

This is the ultimate chichen/egg issue in audio. Is the science more important than listening? We could argue that for generations and still not have the right answer.

Ultimately, the human ear is what decides on the product to purchase. If the product was designed strictly by scientific method, strictly by human evaluation, or by both doesn't much matter. If it make you happy enough when you listen you'll buy it.

To paraphrase Duke Ellington: If it sounds good then it is good.

>All-in all the music preferences will define which system works best with each venue; or type of recording and that will be the false proofs cited by each camp picking recordings that flatter that assemblage of equipment.

This works both ways, too. Certain gear does favor different types of music. A friend has a system that handles certain types of music particulary well. Guess what? Those are the types he listens to most of the time. My system does particulary well with my favorite styles. If a system could do every type of music well (as it would in a perfect world) then there would be no need for such silliness. Until then, we buy gear that suits our personal music preferences.

>Too much bandwidth but I really want to thank you for using reason to point out the discrepencies at the show

I still don't think of them as discrepenies (even after our lengthy diatribe). It just seems that folks really do hear things a lot differently or have different sets of priorities for the flaws they will accept. Trying to figure out why each of us likes particular things would be as difficult as figuring out why some people like Kenny G. and others want to do him bodily harm.

There was a lot of nice gear at the show and most of it was not expensive compared to much of what is offered in the retail shops. It was a great learning experience.

Wow. Now I've eaten too much bandwidth...

I don't know maybe??? [message #1700 is a reply to message #1649] Tue, 10 May 2005 11:19 Go to previous message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
I was just at the the Stereophille Show in Manhattan and while we were looking around they had a room with piano music being played. I was like WOW!!! That's the best speakers I have heard it sounds like the real thing. As I got to the door I was amazed that it was the real thing!!! They had piano guy playing the piano. I didn't expect it at all and could not see inside the room until I got to the door. I still can't explain how I "KNEW" it was real. The reaction was instinctive, something about the sound tipped my senses off. That said I wouldn't be too quick to think you can be fooled.

Previous Topic: Might be amusing
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - June 11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 16:36:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout