Home » Audio » Speaker » JBL Project pt 1
JBL Project pt 1 [message #16896] Wed, 25 August 2004 13:18 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sorry for the brief post, but just want to share with you photos of my JBL project that I started last weekend. Components are 2235 woofer, 2445 compression, with 2380 horns, crossed a 800Hz 2nd/3rd order. Box is 5.5 cubic ft, tuned to 30Hz.

For my Theatre 3 PI project a couple of months ago, I was able to complete a pair of functioning cabinets in one day. Because of the increased complexity of this cabinet (tongue and groove and crazy bracing), I was no where near that pace. What I have after two days of work are panels prepped for both cabinets, one cabinet glued with front baffle clamped on, and not damping material.

Athough the cabinet has no damping material yet, it still sounds very very good. First thing you notice is the tremendous bass from these things. Very strong, well defined, but still integrated (don't stand out). On some material, I can hear the dishes rattle in the kitchen. The 2" compression is also very nice too.

I'll post updates and more details on contruction and listening impressions as the project progress. I've got some pretty cool ideas on how to dress these cabinets up.

Gar.

Awesome! [message #16897 is a reply to message #16896] Wed, 25 August 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnus is currently offline  Magnus
Baron
Great looking cabs so far! Can't wait to see their final appearance! Are you going to use a supertweeter for the top octave?

/Magnus

Re: Definately Maybe [message #16898 is a reply to message #16897] Wed, 25 August 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think a super tweeter will definately be one of those things I'll explore in the future. My plan is to stay with the two way and enjoy them for a while. One of the reasons I didn't build the compression into the same cabinet as the woofer is to give myself the flexible for future re-configurations, such as the super-tweeter and even a midrange horn. This will be my last speaker project for a very long time, but I think it'll serve as an excellent foundation to build on.

Gar.

Re: JBL Project pt 1 [message #16899 is a reply to message #16896] Wed, 25 August 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great parts and nice configuration. I think you're going to love this speaker!

Wayne

Re: Definately Maybe [message #16903 is a reply to message #16898] Wed, 25 August 2004 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

That has to be one of the more intricate examples of bracing :-)

I like it!

JBL 2235 / 2445 [message #16907 is a reply to message #16896] Wed, 25 August 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Looks great and I am eager to know your impressions of the 2235 and 2445 in a two way speaker.
Ralph

Re: Definately Maybe [message #16908 is a reply to message #16898] Thu, 26 August 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That modular design indeed is very flexible and I am opting for pretty much the same thing for my next system. Have you considered powering the system active (i.e. bi-amped)? Besides from the usual benefits of bi-amping I find these kind of systems are particular suitable for bi-amping. That way you can get "the best of both worlds" (gotta get that new Van Halen best-of CD!) i.e. a powerful solid-state amp for clean controlled bottom end and a SET tube amp/ pure class A amp for the highs.

/Magnus

Re: Definately Maybe [message #16909 is a reply to message #16908] Thu, 26 August 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a pretty good idea of what the speakers will look like in five year's time. 4-way, multi-amped (combination of tube and SS) and active (tube) crossover, just like you've described. But it'll be a long trip and I intend on taking my time and making frequent stops to smell the roses.

Gar.

Re: JBL Project pt 1 [message #16910 is a reply to message #16899] Thu, 26 August 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I already do, and I expect to love it even more after I stuff and seal it properly.

The best system I have ever heard! [message #16911 is a reply to message #16909] Thu, 26 August 2004 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
That would sure make a very good system awesome! Take your time, but make sure to post some pics when the cabs are finished!

PS. I think you by now have set a new definition of a "properly braced" cabinet =). DS

Cheers
/Magnus

Previous Topic: Similarities between planar and array speakers
Next Topic: BSC installed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 14:47:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers