Home » Audio » Speaker » T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins
T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins [message #16809] Thu, 12 August 2004 13:10 Go to next message
jbarlow is currently offline  jbarlow
Esquire
Greetings everyone, I recently purchased 2 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" T36 bass bins in good
condition. They look great for their age but they don't sound too hot. I've tried crossover
at 100, 120 and 150 and they sound real woody at any crossover freq. The original woofers are
used but they don't sound blown, just unmusical. Sounds like the box, real woody, hollow sound.
Maybe some bracing is needed? Does any of you have experience with these? If I can't do
something about the nasty hollow boom boom sound, these are probably relegated to the dumpster.
Thanks for any suggestions. Jeff

Re: T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins [message #16810 is a reply to message #16809] Thu, 12 August 2004 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Post your question at the link below. There's someone there that's an expert.

Re: T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins [message #16811 is a reply to message #16810] Thu, 12 August 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbarlow is currently offline  jbarlow
Esquire
Legend in his own mind. I'd rather not but thanks. Jeff

Re: T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins [message #16812 is a reply to message #16809] Thu, 12 August 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Tap on each panel and make sure they are solid. Whatever sound you can make from a fist strike is what the speaker will make from excitation from the woofer. So it should be pretty dead, and if it isn't, brace it.

After years of use, some problems may present themselves. I've had loose joints in basshorns make this symptom, allowing the panels to resonate. You'd think loose joints would buzz and they usually do, but I've had 'em come apart in a way that made panels lose stiffness just enough to sound resonant.

Also, you might double check the woofer and make certain it isn't a cheap mudmotor woofer. That's half the battle right there.

Re: T36 - Sorry..... [message #16814 is a reply to message #16811] Fri, 13 August 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sometimes he actually does provide a little insight, despite all that's wrong.

I looked at the CV site and it's the only one in the line that's been discontinued. I wonder if there isn't something inherent in the design that's problematic. Interestingly, I would have thought it would be the most rigid of the cabinets given its shape and mouth bracing. Perhaps it is rigid, but just resonant.

Why not contact CV support? Maybe they can give you some guidance.

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Email: Service@Cerwin-Vega.com
(Emails without subject title will be ignored.)
Phone: (818) 534-1500
Fax: (818) 534-1593

Re: T36 Cerwin Vega "Earthquake" bins [message #16815 is a reply to message #16809] Fri, 13 August 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STUART is currently offline  STUART
Esquire
With Cerwin Vega "You get what you paid for"
Basically all there stuff is junk

The T36 has a spiked response and high F3. [message #16816 is a reply to message #16814] Fri, 13 August 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
The T36 suffers from an ailment common to pro-sound subs of this design (and there are/were many) which is stuffing too much driver into too small a box. Since the driver and its rear chamber took up so much space there wasn't enough room left over for a proper length horn. The resulting response was very peaked, with relatively high efficiency over a very small passband, and not one that actually qualified as true sub-woofer response. Most current folded horn subs have abandoned the concept of short horns fed by large drivers in favor of long horns fed by small drivers.

Use in groups [message #16817 is a reply to message #16816] Fri, 13 August 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spnman is currently offline  spnman
Chancellor
T36 was made to be used in groups of 4 to 16. I think you agree response peaks are lessened in groups so size and length are fine. Its woofer was like other CV woofers and gives it that sound. CV woofers are made to be loud at all costs, they are not the cleanest. When used to shake theater houses and rumble like an earthquake there was no need to be clean.

Re: Use in groups [message #16818 is a reply to message #16817] Fri, 13 August 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
You will get more out of them that way, to be sure, but no matter how many you use the horn pathway is not going to get any longer, and a quarter wavelength is a quarter wavelength. They were an improvement in the pro-sound ranks over woofers with an F3 of 100 Hz, adequate for the needs of pro-sound in live performance up until perhaps 8 to 10 years ago, but just don't measure up to today's subs using twelve inch drivers and twelve foot pathways.

Re: Use in groups [message #16819 is a reply to message #16818] Fri, 13 August 2004 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spnman is currently offline  spnman
Chancellor
Horns aren't necessarily a quarter wavelength long. That is a rule of thumb that sometimes is true but that's all it is. Taper rate, throat and mouth area are sometimes more important. Groups are used to advantage in these areas.

Previous Topic: Jordan JX92S questions?
Next Topic: The meaning of Life the Universe and everything?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:38:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio