Home » Audio » Speaker » what's it mean???
what's it mean??? [message #16802] Tue, 10 August 2004 11:36 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
So I'm reading about how great thes spekaers are ---they a musical!--they throw deep soundstage and they image like heck! they are so present!-----gentlemen please enlighten me as to the difference in thes terms! I just bought a used pair of Kestrals and don't know if I can tell anyone how they sound----( Man did you hear the Bass!) Jd

Hyperbolic superlatives [message #16803 is a reply to message #16802] Tue, 10 August 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
These glowing terms are often found in two places: in the advertising copy cooked up to convince someone to buy a speaker, and in the mind of someone who fell for the hype, spent more than he should have, and is trying to convince himself it was money well spent. The more subjective and less objective the terms used to recommend a speaker, or any product for that matter, the closer one should investigate that product before buying, IMHO.

Re: Hyperbolic superlatives [message #16804 is a reply to message #16803] Tue, 10 August 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a reactionary response that is equally extreme in it's position. While the concept of "Caramel Colorations",is obviously unacceptable to any rational notion of a universally understandable description of what a speaker does in reproducing sound, that doesn't mean there are no descriptions that can be shared with a mutual understanding. Soundstage is easily heard as well as imaging and almost any decent speaker can be repeatedly set up to illustrate these simple concepts. Knee-jerk responses to all phenomena that isn't on a scope does nothing to promote better sound through design descisions.

Re: Hyperbolic superlatives [message #16805 is a reply to message #16803] Tue, 10 August 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Personally, I don't know what "musical" means when describing speakers. I guess it's the opposite of "noise", but since a lot of music I listen to is described as "noise", does that mean "musical" speakers are a poor choice for me?

I have to agree that some of the terms used by reviewers and advertisments are pretty esoteric and even completely subjective. But some of them are valid though.

Imaging would describe how precise the virtual placement of instruments or vocals are between the two speakers. In an ideal system, any content that is in mono would appear to come from a point source exactly between the two speakers. Stereo recordings can be mixed so that each individual instrument can be placed anywhere between the two speakers. Placement will be precise for well imaging systems while in poor imaging system, placement is vague. How speakers are designed and build contributes to its abiltiy to image well, BUT room placement and the room itself plays a pretty major role.

Speakers with a wide soundstage can appear to place an instrument outside of the boudary of the two speakers. Ability of speakers to achieve wide soundstage depends on how wide its dispersion is, placement in room, and room itself as the soundstage is created by sound reflecting off the side walls. Again, the room plays a big part.

Other descriptions that I believe are easy to describe and understand include tonal realism, dynamic realism, and of course, ass-kicking bass.

Gar.

Check this out [message #16806 is a reply to message #16802] Wed, 11 August 2004 06:44 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Jim,
My review website has them defined for the purpose of my reviews
http://nfp.cba.utulsa.edu/bajaja/FreeAudioReviews/

akhilesh

Previous Topic: Manger Speakers
Next Topic: Diaphragm materials for compression drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 19:53:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects