Home » Audio » Speaker » Padding questions
Padding questions [message #16799] Mon, 09 August 2004 16:20 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
I am doing a 3 way speaker project that I already know will be used on a single amplifier so I can't biamp it. The mid and tweeter need to be padded, and I am considering different ways to do it. I can use transformers or resistors. Questions:

1. If I use transformers for padding, where can I get them?
2. If I use resistors, should I use carbon resistors or some length of very small wire?
3. Whether I use resistors or transformers, the mid and tweeter need conjugate compensation filters that have a resistor. Same question, what kind of resistor is best to use?

Thanks in advance,
Ralph

Re: Padding questions [message #16801 is a reply to message #16799] Tue, 10 August 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
The best way to go about it is to use temporary wire-wound 25ohm potentiometers to determine the required values in circuit and then put in the appropriate sized high power(12 watt) Mills non-inductive resisitors, available at Parts Express.

Re: Padding questions [message #16813 is a reply to message #16799] Thu, 12 August 2004 21:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Small wire won't allow much power, acting like a fuse instead. I'd suggest a good quality non-inductive resistor is probably your best bet. Both tubes and solid state alike use carbon resistors within the amp.

Previous Topic: Outdoor / Patio speaker rec.
Next Topic: Lowther / Fostex
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:24:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout