Home » Audio » Speaker » If JBLPro Components are so great ...
If JBLPro Components are so great ... [message #16695] Mon, 12 July 2004 08:17 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
(And I don't doubt for a moment that they are), then why are their use in home hi-fi systems limited to DIY'ers? I understand from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense for JBL to introduce a "home-use" line, with the high volume that they get in the pro market. But why are there not more independent shops building and selling home speakers using JBLPro components? Just like the Lowther and Fostex-based speakers that are pretty common.

Gar.

Re: If JBLPro Components are so great ... [message #16696 is a reply to message #16695] Mon, 12 July 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Good question!
Maybe there is not much money to be made in high end home audio? I am going to go ahead and list a few factors a manager at JBL would consider (just to get the thread going):

1. one thing to look at would be the relative dollars spent by pro audio folks versus home audiophiles

2. What is the level of competition? In pro audio, there may be fewer product lines and more straightforward marketing. The home audiophile marlet may be difficult to market to....(well you could always feed a few reviewers to publish a "review" but even that's been done to death).

3. Maybe JBL people are analyzing trends in sales, and the high end audio industry may not be looking good.

what do you all think?
-akhilesh

Re: If JBLPro Components are so great ... [message #16697 is a reply to message #16696] Mon, 12 July 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Commercial home audio could not afford to put JBL drivers into home systems, the JBL drivers are built for horn and BR loaded systems which are difficult to build small and Jbl does sell home audio in Japan and Europe but they don't see enough profit margin here.

Re: If JBLPro Components are so great ... [message #16698 is a reply to message #16696] Mon, 12 July 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, I understand given the business JBL already gets from the pro market, it doesn't make economical sense for them to build for home use. But there's not much to stop an independent shop from designing, building, and marketing a line of home use speakers built with JBL Pro components. In the last HiFi Expo I went to, there were a lot of speaker companies who use Fostex and Lowthers (or "modified" versions) in their speakers. But none use JBL Pro components.

Gar.

Wayne does! [message #16700 is a reply to message #16695] Mon, 12 July 2004 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: If JBLPro Components are so great ... [message #16701 is a reply to message #16695] Mon, 12 July 2004 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I just listened to a JBL K2 the other week. For 30K it's pricy and worth it!

They are too expensive. Every dollar in materials cost the consumer 4 dollars by the time its in a box on a store shelf. Theres maybe a handfull of builders using expensive parts and the prices for the good reflect it. There are by the same token a few builders commanding huge dollars for systems that use little more than a 30 dollar driver.

The parts available from the Pro line is not as wide as it used to be. There are a lot of nice drivers by size and spec that were great for home audio, not made any more.

JBL also has a high end home theater line. I've not heard it but it looks like some classy stuff. high end. You find find it at Best Buy with the other JBL speakers.

Don't you watch TV?? [message #16702 is a reply to message #16695] Mon, 12 July 2004 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Who needs 15's when a Waveradio will reproduce a symphony orchestra in your livingroom??? You how many people believe that?? Lot's and the WAF can be the deciding factor if you don't have your "own" space. Most DIY guys are using vintage JBL drivers. There are lots of them and they are still supported by JBL. They offer excellent value. The newer drivers can be down right expensive. The old addage you get what you pay for is still very true. My friends think I am nuts but they all leave amazed at what a JBL system can sound like. My lattest DIY's are 4344 clones a 20 year old design. You know what they blow that damned radio's socks off.

Re: Don't you watch TV?? [message #16703 is a reply to message #16702] Mon, 12 July 2004 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Your right, Robert. A lot of systems built around JBL Pro components tend to be large in size and small in WAF. Fostex and Lowthers come in smaller packages and are more suitable for home decor.

I got a pair of 2445's and 2235's a few weeks back and can't wait to put them together. Love what I've hear from the 2445's so far.

Gar.

Bill, forgot to recognize that you build with JBLPro (nt) [message #16704 is a reply to message #16701] Mon, 12 July 2004 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Don't you watch TV?? [message #16705 is a reply to message #16703] Mon, 12 July 2004 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Those are nice woofers. What are you building ?? You dropping a 2405 up top or a 2way?? What horn for the 2445??

Previous Topic: OB - V3
Next Topic: Martinelli FIRENZE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 20:12:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout