Home » Audio » Speaker » Max Power Input into drivers
Max Power Input into drivers [message #16661] Tue, 06 July 2004 08:04 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was playing around with Boxplot, modelling various Eminence drivers and would like to clarify how to interpret Max Input and Max SPL. I've already did a search through my copy of Loudspeaker Cookbook and there was very little mention on this topic.

For a driver like the Delta12 (not LF), it's rated at 400W. However, according to Boxplot, the Max Power handling of this driver drops very quickly down to 30W below 100Hz in a 4 cubic ft vented box. I guess this is due to the combination of driver compliance, box compliance and Xmax.

From a practical standpoint, does this mean that the speaker should not be fed anymore than 30W below 100Hz?

thanks,
Gar.

Re: Max Power Input into drivers [message #16662 is a reply to message #16661] Tue, 06 July 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Garman

The driver has a maximum thermal power rating, but theres also the excursion-limited power handling as you have found out in Boxplot. You can damage a driver from exceeding maximum thermal rating, but also from physically tearing the driver apart if you exceed xmax. A vented box shouldnt be used below Fb, the maximum point of excursion inside of the passband is at Fh. If you're presenting full program material at Fh then whatever power required at this frequency to drive it to maximum excursion is your maximum power input you can send to the driver (unless you have a highpass crossover somewhere above Fh, although I'm assuming there wont be for what you want to do). Below Fb, excursion becomes incredibly large but you don't/arnt supposed to use the driver here anyway. Remember that the distribution of content in music may more or less have content around Fh, if the distribution is weighted less to that region then total power you send to the driver without exceeding xmax will differ from what the modelling program suggests (being based on pure sine wave, I think). As a sidenote, the driver will have a linear xmax rating and also a damage-limited xmax rating as you can 'overdrive' the driver to a fair degree depending on its build quality. The damage limited rating typically being twice that of linear xmax but can be significantly more in well-rugged pro drivers (important for pro where uninformed DJ's try to blare every last bit of SPL out of it!). Distortion at damage limited xmax may not be acceptable however, so try to keep it within linear limits.

Adrian

Re: Max Power Input into drivers [message #16663 is a reply to message #16662] Tue, 06 July 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Adrian,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Now I know I shouldn't just go by Power Rating to determine Power Handling. Some of the Eminence Alpha drivers (100W rating) can actually handle more power at low frequencies than the Delta drivers (rated at 400W).

BTW, I'm glad to see you back on the board. It's been awhile since we last heard from you. Anything new? Have you fininshed your 3-ways yet?

Gar.

Re: Max Power Input into drivers [message #16664 is a reply to message #16663] Wed, 07 July 2004 01:40 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Gar.

All finished but the finishing! :p

Adrian

Previous Topic: Who Offers Line Array Kits?
Next Topic: My next pipe dream: Voigt Pipe with Goldwood 8"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 13:23:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout