Home » Audio » Speaker » First-order tweeter crossovers
Re: First-order tweeter crossovers [message #16399 is a reply to message #16398] Fri, 16 April 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've done the same thing in my floor monitors (no x-overs), the only time I've blown the piezo's is when I did mixing for some jazz or funk bands with horn sections trumpet,sax,etc.

Bill W.

Piezopower [message #16401 is a reply to message #16399] Fri, 16 April 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
If you run multiple piezos in a cab you can wire them for more power or more sensitivity. Wire parallel and you get increased SPL of 6dB/doubling of drivers, but with no increase in power handling. But if you wire in series the SPL remains level while wattage increases by a factor of four for each doubling of drivers, so two 50 watters in series will handle 200 watts, and four would handle 800 watts.

Re: Piezopower [message #16402 is a reply to message #16401] Fri, 16 April 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Bill,
That's good to know, I had 2 piezo's wired in parallel thinking that it would double the power handling along with increasing the SPL. Know wonder they blew shoving 150w at them even tho they were rated at 50 watts each.

Bill W.

Think of piezos as capacitors vis a vis power. [message #16403 is a reply to message #16402] Sat, 17 April 2004 08:15 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Piezos place a capacitive load rather than resistive load, so they are voltage limited rather than amperage limited when figuring power capacity. The average piezo is very comfortable with about 25 volts in. When used in multiples wiring them parallel they all see the same voltage input. For example, 40 volts putting 200 watts into your woofers will probably toast a pair of piezos in parallel, both seeing 40 vols input. But if you wire them in series then the voltage is divided between them for 20 volts apiece, keeping them safe.

For boxes that I don't plan on putting more than 75 watts or so average program into I use them paired in parallel for high SPL. With four or more I wire them as series/parallel pairs to gain both sensitivity and power capacity.

A vertical array of eight piezos gives better than 105dB sensitivity, is able to handle 100 volt signals, and can be built for as little as 16 bucks. That is a serious bang for the buck factor.

Previous Topic: LABsub Bass Horn Project
Next Topic: Piezo tweeters, crossovers, transformers, etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 23:20:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio