Home » Audio » General » Components beliefs
Re: Components beliefs [message #1575 is a reply to message #1569] Tue, 03 May 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I dug it. I bought two of 'em. If you object to having it, then next year, ask Lori to put it in my room.

Re: Components beliefs [message #1576 is a reply to message #1571] Tue, 03 May 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here's the lamp. Look at the lower right in the photo below.

That big black thing in the center of the photo is Geddes Summa loudspeaker, by the way.

Earl Geddes and Duke LeJeune, Summa loudspeaker and groovy vapor lamp

Re: Components beliefs [message #1577 is a reply to message #1563] Tue, 03 May 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice post, Earl!. And a pleasure to meet you & Duke & Lori!
Here are my 2 cents:
THe most important determinant of god sound is the recording, followed by the speaker-room system, followed by the components. Given today's excellence in digital sources & amplification, i'd agree with your percentage allocation, except in a few instances. Three of these are below:

1. If a component or amplifier is deliberately skewed to sound "pleasant" it will make a difference. For example, in the setup I listen to most nowadays, 90 HZ to around 3300 HZ are driven by a SET 45 amp connected to a vintage driver (8 inches). Is the resulting sound accurate? Heck no! Is it pleasant? In spades!

2. Some DACs and CD players are deliberately rolledoff, or HAVE to be rolled off (Wadia for example) by as much as 2-3 db in the high octave. This can create again, an inaccurate but pleasant sounding effect.

3. Several cables, esp. speaker cables, with appreciable LC or R can skew the frequency response of the amplifier-cable-speaker sub-system. TO some this can sound pleasant.

Overall, ther is NO doubt to anyone who has spent much timein this hobby that the speaker-room interaction makes the bigest difference: since speakers generally have the most distortion, and the most skewed freq response.

thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Components beliefs [message #1582 is a reply to message #1563] Wed, 04 May 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
Interesting post. I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree.

I am not going to go into a long explanation of my point of view, but in the last 25+ years in this business, my experience is that EVERYTHING matters. I do agree that speakers are a very important part of the equation, but 90%? Sorry, can't go with you on that one.

BTW, I thought the lamp was cool as well!

Re: Components beliefs [message #1613 is a reply to message #1570] Wed, 04 May 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael.e is currently offline  michael.e
Esquire
But I will admitt to; upon hearing the tones of bass fiddle flattened out by cheap electronics even from another room it does get irritating
My problem/freedom is,that I dont hear instruments live very often,more likely to hear Djs spinning vinyl through Qsc power amps into cheaply filtered HF horns and 15" midbass!

I dont know if its good or bad,I can just adjust my soundsystem til I think its best,without any reference!

Cheers
Mike.e

Re: Components beliefs [message #1624 is a reply to message #1613] Thu, 05 May 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mike E; There is always air guitar!

Re: Components beliefs [message #1632 is a reply to message #1563] Thu, 05 May 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Totally with you here, Earl, and always have been/probably always will be. My thoughts exactly. Didn't even read any other replies before making mine because I know what I think..........
"benefit bucks"; great way to put it.
I have been making the case for the speakers being totally paramount for years...........

BTW, [message #1633 is a reply to message #1563] Thu, 05 May 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Bruce Edgar "always" says, when it comes to audio gear, that "people see what they hear, and hear what they see"..................how true. Not seeing what they are listening to would bug the shit out of most "audiophiles" as they would be afraid of liking something they "shouldn't' or disliking something they "should". Their opinion is highly shaped by what they see, and their expectation.

Re:And SOoo - [message #1634 is a reply to message #1633] Thu, 05 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
manufacturers give them eye candy, poor sound and charge big bucks!

When I was at Ford in the aerly years of OEm audio wars, the markeyting guys insisted on flashing lights. Theye didn't have to mean anything and it didn't matter if sound quality had to be sacrificed - there had to be eye candy or no-go. Nothing has changed.

Re:And SOoo - [message #1636 is a reply to message #1634] Thu, 05 May 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I like to sip a good single malt scotch when I listen. I find that it, along with the warm yellow glow of the NOS tubes on my SET, adds immeasurably to my enjoyment of the music. Sets the mood. It's great to stimulate 2-3 senses at once.
Just kidding.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Beliefs
Next Topic: To All the Dear Mothers of You Mutha's...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:34:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio