Home » Audio » Speaker » sensitivity question
sensitivity question [message #16305] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:07 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a pair of EV LS-12 fullrange 12" drivers mounted on open baffles, which EV rated at 93dB 1W/1M. I also have a pair of Klipsch Heresy's which are factory rated at 96dB 1W/1M. Both are rated at 8 ohms. If I leave the amp at the same volume setting and change from one pair of speakers to the other, the EV's are louder then the Klipsch.
Any explantions for this? Inquiring minds need to know! ;^)

Dave:^)

Re: sensitivity question [message #16306 is a reply to message #16305] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Magic

Re: sensitivity question [message #16307 is a reply to message #16305] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is this at a single frequency or with music?

Is this measured or perception?

Re: sensitivity question [message #16308 is a reply to message #16306] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry, Dave. I just wanted to be ornery.

Maybe one was rated at 2.83v and the other at 1 watt. If they present different loads to the amplifier, that might explain it. Or one speaker might be rated in free space, the other in half-space or quarter-space. Half-space represents about 3dB over free-space, and quarter-space is about 6dB. Some companies rate in free space, and others measure on a large baffle, which is half-space. Another thing that could be is that one might just be a little bit conservative and the other a bit optimistic. Then again, I suppose something could be just plain ol' out of spec.

It's probably a midrange thing. [message #16313 is a reply to message #16308] Fri, 09 April 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Sensitivity isn't always measured the same way; a lot of driver manufacturers average it over the bandwidth, while some measure at 1kHz. In this case I'd say that the EVs probably are putting out a stronger midrange than the other(500 to 1.5kHz), which will subjectively sound louder due to the stepped sensitivity of the ear (see Fletcher-Munson curves)than lower and higher frequencies at the same or even somewhat higher SPLs. You can check it easily enough via an RTA or swept sine SPL measurement.

Re: sensitivity question [message #16315 is a reply to message #16307] Fri, 09 April 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When I change from the Heresy's to the EV's, I have to boost my subwoofer level guite a bit to match. I use a Rat Shack meter to determine correct subwoofer level. Seems to be around a four or five decible boost needed with the EV's. Also, when having the EV's on one channel and the Klipsch on the other, using the balance control to pan back and forth, the EV's are very noticably louder. To match the Heresy's level, I need to rotate the volume control back from 9:00 to 8:00.

Dave

Re: sensitivity question [message #16316 is a reply to message #16306] Fri, 09 April 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Magic is good. Do you know of any that will convert my Heresy's into Pi Theatre 4's?

Dave :^)

Re: sensitivity question [message #16317 is a reply to message #16308] Fri, 09 April 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The way I understand it, the old EV's (late 1950's) were measured outside in an open field. The old measurements, done at something like 30 feet, were converted to modern standards by a formula that was available on the Fullrange Driver forum. I have the formula buired here somewhere.
Word has it that Klipsch speakers are measured in room. It would seem that using sensitivity measurements to compare speakers is a waste of time, as with these two it could lead to a false conclusion. The EV's are clearly more efficient. Both sound good, with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm listening to the EV's this week. They are less picky on recording quality, thus easier on the ears for long term listening. Those Klipsch midhorns are ruthless!

Dave

Re: It's probably a midrange thing. [message #16318 is a reply to message #16313] Fri, 09 April 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's graph's of the two speakers. They were both taken using 70dB pink noise as a referance, so sensitivity differences don't show up here. Stereophile test CD #2 was used (warble tones) and Rat Shack analog meter, using the common standard compensation. Both speakers are tested with the subs on and balanced for best response, so anything below 60-80Hs is subwoofers. The EV has a transformer coupled piezo with 60 ohm resistor and zobel added, 1.5 uF cap between 8 ohm tap and amp. Sounds well balanced, even though the Rat Shack meter doesn't seem to pick up good past 10kHz.

Dave

Re: sensitivity question [message #16323 is a reply to message #16315] Fri, 09 April 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you discount salesmanship in the specmanship (a pretty generous stipulation) I'd offer the possibility that spectral balance is the most likely reason for the difference. You mention fooling with the sub level - the "impression" of adequate bass is enhanced by a boost in the area of 70Hz. Lower response around this freq will give the sense of lack of bass impact.

I wonder what it would seem like if you eq'd them flat?

Hey, what do I know? I'm more of an amateur than you are!

Previous Topic: More spectacular Horns
Next Topic: Opinions - Eminence Deltalite 10 and 12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:37:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout