Home » Audio » Speaker » Cone vs Compression in Midrange
Cone vs Compression in Midrange [message #16215] Fri, 12 March 2004 09:16 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interested in knowing the difference between using a compression horn vs. cone driver horn for the midrange. I know the bandwidth of the two are different. A 2" compression will give you 500Hz (if you're lucky) to 10 or 15KHz, while a midrange cone can run from 100Hz to 5KHz. But within that area of overlap, what are the major differences in tonal characteristics?

Gar.

Re: Cone vs Compression in Midrange [message #16216 is a reply to message #16215] Fri, 12 March 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd say as much depends on the build of the driver as its type where overall sound quality is concerned. But I agree with your assessment that modern 2" compression drivers aren't made to crossover below 500Hz, and even that is usually pushing it. That means you have to crossover an octave or two up into the vocal range. Generally, I prefer to keep the 300-1600Hz range covered by a single driver.

There are some compression drivers that are made for midrange and even bass and midbass frequencies. They are generally expensive, even exotic, but there are such devices available. One midrange compression driver that isn't exotic but actually very popular is the Community M4. It has a 6.5" diaphragm, so it is large enough to perform well in the vocal fundamental range.

As for the modern small format compression drivers like the Eminence and JBL 1" and 2" exit devices, I'd honestly rather not crossover until much higher than the mids. I like to use them for the vocal overtone region and up. Sure, you can limit power and crossover lower, but that limits dynamic range. So that's just not the way I'd do it.

Re: Cone vs Compression in Midrange [message #16217 is a reply to message #16216] Fri, 12 March 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, have you ever heard Communities M4. If so is it smooth.

Bill W.

Re: Cone vs Compression in Midrange [message #16218 is a reply to message #16217] Fri, 12 March 2004 14:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, it is an excellent midrange. In my opinion, there's no comparison with any of the small format 1" or 2" jobs. I like medium-sized cone driven midrange horns too.

Previous Topic: A few questions
Next Topic: Altec or bust
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 15:01:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout