Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn subwoofer in a car
Horn subwoofer in a car [message #16096] Sat, 31 January 2004 21:31 Go to next message
Murilo is currently offline  Murilo
Esquire

Has anyone ever heard about using horned subwoofer in a car ?
If yes, then please tell me about it and send me links if possible.

I am interested in trying a horn in my car (in future) because of it's efficiency, acuracy (fidelity) and high power handling (resulting from low excursion).

In a car with hatch back, cabin can be used to make the horn seem larger, as shown in my drawing. The air would expand gradually untill it reached the front seats and the floor, but by this time it would also reach the window and continue to expand (if windows are open).
The purple lines show more or less how would the car extend horn's mouth. The drawing shows a throat would be flat and wide (1 meter wide), so I should use two or more small drivers.
If something is used to fill the spaces at left and right of the enclosure (above right and left car wheels) and to fill the F area, then the horn could cover just the A area, leaving the air to expand naturally (out of enclosure) through B and C areas.

I have learned that low end efficiency (efficiency at lower frequency notes) is determined by enclosure size, not by driver's parameters. This means: If an driver A is more efficient than driver B, you can be sure driver A will either require a bigger enclosure or will roll off at higher frequencies (higher F3 and F10).

For example, for a flat response ported enclosure
EF / (F3^3 * VB) = ~K
were
EF = efficiency playin in half airspace (or 1/8)
VB = enclosure size
K = a value that is always constant

But according to hornresp a bass horn can do better. This means the K value will be 2 or more times bigger.

Re: Horn subwoofer in a car [message #16097 is a reply to message #16096] Sun, 01 February 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good stuff, Murilo! Check out the car audio forum too, 'cause there is some discussion of horns in cars there. Have a look at the posts from Mike.e.

I talk to mike.e at messenger every day 8-) [message #16098 is a reply to message #16097] Sun, 01 February 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Murilo is currently offline  Murilo
Esquire
I think I am the one who inspires him about using horn in car :)

Re: I talk to mike.e at messenger every day 8-) [message #16099 is a reply to message #16098] Sun, 01 February 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What do you do to keep from damaging stuff inside your car and rattling things loose? Seriously.

40hz ? how about 30hz [message #16100 is a reply to message #16099] Mon, 02 February 2004 06:48 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

new plans

uh oh watch out

Tomorow i measure the car-to see if i have to compromise and do a 35hz ,or a BIG mouthed 40hz...eg 4000cm mouth

Im not sure which will fit,i THINK i have that much space with back seat down...

Previous Topic: Baffle step compensation
Next Topic: Onkyo truck boxes at partsexpress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:48:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout