Home » Audio » Speaker » Dried Bug in My Horn
Dried Bug in My Horn [message #16059] Fri, 23 January 2004 08:01 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I have a Klipsch Cornwall that I use as a side speaker in a five channel setup. I was "playing" with it, using a signal generator to see its response - just out of curiosity. I noticed a terrible vibration and even beats between 55Hz and 70Hz. Also smaller buzzes at other frequencies, depending on the volume. These noises had not been apparent before. (I have not used these speakers a whole lot recently.)

My first thought was, "Oh ****, my horn has gone bad!" But, looking at it, I saw that a foreign object was deep in the throat of the midrange horn, right up by the phase plug. Using a long knife, I carefully extracted the bug, which was dried and brittle. Now, there is only a small buzz which appears at higher volumes, say, 90dB or so. Probably a little leg or wing sitting on the edge of the driver.

I don't really notice this. Should I leave well enough alone?

It is easy to get at the driver, because the rear of the speaker is screwed in. I have not looked to see how the driver is connected to the flare, but I wonder if I disassemble the driver from the flare, will I be breaking a seal, risking getting the bug limb deeper into the driver, or some other thing better not done? Suggestions?

Feel free to chuckle.

rattley bugs [message #16061 is a reply to message #16059] Fri, 23 January 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lol
the worst ive heard of is-some one put a piece of gum in a labhorn (27hz pro horn) and when the owner was going to attempt removing it a week later-the gum was STILL soft! the SPL kept it from setting i guess
:-)

Re: Dried Bug in My Horn [message #16063 is a reply to message #16059] Fri, 23 January 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I had audible buzzing in my Heresy horns recently (I bought them used this summer). I took the mid horns apart and discoverd some grainy black powdery crystals, kind of like coal dust. Disassembled and cleaned them out and they've been playing great since!

Dave :^)

Re: Dried Bug in My Horn [message #16068 is a reply to message #16059] Sat, 24 January 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, man, what a deal! I couldn't help but laugh, but I know it can be frustrating. And if you take something apart and have it go badly, it can be really disappointing too. So pardon my laughter, and I hope you get that solved. But man that's funny!

Take them apart and clean out the bug parts. Of course, be careful, but you can probably brush away the big chunks pretty easily. Then you might gently vacuum any smaller debris that has fallen in behind the phase plug and between that and the diaphragm. Be careful not to put a sealed vacuum against something that would bring full vacuum pressure on the diaphragm. Let it be "leaky" rather than sealed to the throat. You could rip the diaphragm if your vacuum were strong enough and you sealed it tightly to the throat.

I guess that was really buggin' you, huh?

You had some bugs in your system to work out.

Really buggers up the music when you're playin' it loud, huh?

OK, ok. I'll stop.

Re: Dried Bug in My Horn - Thanks to Everyone [message #16070 is a reply to message #16068] Sat, 24 January 2004 06:30 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Wayne, get a grip! I said you could chuckle, but I didn't ask for you to bugin a long series of puns!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think vacuuming it is a good idea that had not occurred to me. I kept having to resist the idea to use compressed air.

Previous Topic: Does sensitivity MEAN coloration?
Next Topic: Basic Horn Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:01:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout