Home » Audio » Speaker » Basic Horn Questions
Basic Horn Questions [message #16053] Thu, 22 January 2004 07:41 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I understand that an "exponential horn" has its cross-sectional area grow exponentially with the distance from the throat.

Also, a "cone horn" has its cross-sectional area grow quadratically with the distance from the throat.

What about "hyperbolic horn?" Does the area grow hyperbolically with the distance? Or, is there a hyperbolic cross-section??

What is a "Tractrix horn?"

Does a "biradial horn" have sides that are cylindrical sections, one radius on top and bottom and another on sides, or something else?

Is there a good online source to read about the above topics?

Is most of the knowledge base on horns from experimental evidence, or are they well understood mathematically?

On page 174 of Martin Colloms' paperback, "High Performance Loudspeakers" (the 5th edition - "corrected"), he says that on exponential horns the cross-sectional area grows as,

c**mx where ** is exponentiation as in FORTRAN

and later says that the cutoff frequency should be

mc/4 c = velocity of sound

Should the "c" in the first equation be an "e" and should the second equation be "4pi"?

Re: Basic Horn Questions [message #16054 is a reply to message #16053] Thu, 22 January 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thinking again, I am not sure what I meant by "grows hyperbolically." Duh. I guess that I mean "grows inversely as (constant - distance from the cone)." That would make sense. The question, "What is a hyperbolic horn," still applies in any case.

Links [message #16055 is a reply to message #16053] Thu, 22 January 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
search here
http://www.f16.parsimony.net/forum27133/

search here
http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/

for exponents use ^ eg 1.5^4

a well thought out search will give good results.

http://www.f16.parsimony.net/forum27133/messages/2291.htm

Cheers!

Re: Basic Horn Answers [message #16056 is a reply to message #16054] Thu, 22 January 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Dean

The "Quadratic Throat Waveguide" paper published by Peavy will answer almost all the questions you asked. Please download http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/aa/qwp1.pdf

Another referance which may be of interest to you is the post "Characteristics of various horn flares" online at http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/1623.html

Adrian

Re: Basic Horn Questions [message #16057 is a reply to message #16053] Fri, 23 January 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
<< Is most of the knowledge base on horns from experimental evidence, or are they well understood mathematically? >>

Actual horns are pretty much understood mathematically, however the behaviour of real-world speakers in these horns isn't. Result: experimentation to achieve best results.

Cheers

Thanks For Your Responses! [message #16058 is a reply to message #16053] Fri, 23 January 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks to all of you who have (or will) responded to my post. I don't have all the answers yet, but I know a lot more than I did a few days ago!

BuST - A - post! [message #16060 is a reply to message #16056] Fri, 23 January 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I knew you had some trick links up ur sleeve ;-) i cant find mine :'(

Re: BuST - A - post! [message #16064 is a reply to message #16060] Fri, 23 January 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Is that server deal still acting up? Maybe we should tell Sheri? If there are posts that are missing, find a post from her and tell her or send word to me and I'll pass it on to her.

Also, you might want to ask your ISP when was the last time they updated their copy of the DNS. Sheri told me that the reason some people were connected to the old server after the upgrade was because their local ISP's were slow to update their nameservers.

Re: BuST - A - post! [message #16065 is a reply to message #16064] Sat, 24 January 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

no, sorry wayne misunderstanding
not LOST posts,but LOST favourites!

:-)
cheers!

Re: BuST - A - post! [message #16066 is a reply to message #16065] Sat, 24 January 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Now that's a car stereo! What a sub! Is that the 40Hz horn you made and had in your room?

Previous Topic: Dried Bug in My Horn
Next Topic: speakers in bathroom
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:59:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout