Home » Audio » Speaker » I did it ! What did I do???
I did it ! What did I do??? [message #16011] Sat, 10 January 2004 12:19 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, as of this morning I have my system flat, + / - 3dB from 30 Hz to 16 Khz at the listening position.

I'm not impressed by the sound, though. I think I liked it better when I had it balanced by ear.

Am I unable to appreciate proper response, or is flat not as desirable as I thought it was supposed to be?

Re: I did it ! What did I do??? [message #16013 is a reply to message #16011] Sat, 10 January 2004 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
I have often wondered why so much effort is put into achieving dead flat response. Our ears' response isn't flat and varies between individuals anyway. I consider the ear to be more like a musical instrument than a measuring device - the best system is the one which is most pleasing to YOUR ear, not the one that measures flattest.

Cheers

Re: I did it ! What did I do??? [message #16014 is a reply to message #16011] Sun, 11 January 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Thats funny. I have spent long periods of time geting a system perfectly flat. Didnt sound good to me either. Any of the times I did it! I was also told by some sound engineers I wouldnt like it either. I always thought the good studio monitors had a very flat response, and for that reason most people never liked them as a hi-fi speaker.

Bill

Re: I did it ! What did I do??? [message #16018 is a reply to message #16011] Mon, 12 January 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I used to work in a recording studio part time years ago, and I found it takes time to get your ears listening to a system with a totally flat response, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad you can really tell on other systems that have just the BOOM and HISS to them and no mids detail. On my home system, my systems ran flat with maybe 3-6db boost on the lower freq (40-70hz) and it sounds good at least to me anyway. But for home let your ears be your guide on what sounds best to you, those are your built in insturments.

Re: I did it ! What did I do??? [message #16019 is a reply to message #16011] Mon, 12 January 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In my opinion, it's not as important if you have flat response or not, as it is how you achieved that flat response. If you made aterations to the speakers or the signal that causes phase problems or dynamics problems, you may have lost more then you gained in achieving that flat response. There are other things that can affect the music more then not having a perfectly flat responce, IMHO.

Dave :^)

Give it some time??? [message #16023 is a reply to message #16011] Tue, 13 January 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Also

FR,is just one of the many things to measure

now that you have a great flat response

why not listen to a fullrange speaker that people love,and compare it.simplicity no x over,see if it appeals

A moderately flat response i want,but i dont want to sacrifice other things to get that.

The listening room affects so much..

Its interesting to hear...

I plan on building a horn system in the future ,, up to 16khz like adrian macks.

:-)

Cheers!!

Bit of of an update [message #16024 is a reply to message #16011] Tue, 13 January 2004 22:11 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
After a couple of days I find that from the midrange up I like things a lot better, more balanced, more "articulate".

I've also been tweaking away so I now have +/- 1 dB. There's a big peak at 125 Hz, so I'm going to fool with the first XO point (now approximately 150 Hz) to see if I can reduce the amount of EQ necessary there.

I'm beginning to think that flat may be right for reproduction (as opposed to reinforcement) because the producer has EQ'd the recording so that it expresses what he intended. Maybe trying to improve on the recording by adding boost or cut where I'd like it to be is the wrong approach.

Previous Topic: New Speaker
Next Topic: Whiteley Stentorian HF-1012's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 10:45:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout