Home » Audio » Speaker » Hey guys...how about posting some pics of your speakers
Re: Excuse me Mr. Luthier sir, but....... [message #15958 is a reply to message #15956] Mon, 29 December 2003 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The best place for research on hurdy-gurdy's is http://www.hurdygurdy.com/hg/hghome.html

Briefly, a hurdy-gurdy has a crank attached to a wheel (4'-7") which spins against several strings, like a violin bow rubs against strings. Some strings are drones, while other strings go through a box with buttons in a standard keyboard pattern. The buttons push against the melody, or chanter, string(s), which shorten them and raises the pitch.
These instruments sound like a small bagpipe with violin-like tone, with some small rattling mechanical noises also. Very medieval tone!

Dave :^)

wrong numer in previous post ... [message #15959 is a reply to message #15958] Mon, 29 December 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I mistakenly printed the wheel size in the above post. It should have read: 4"-7"

The wheel seldom gets bigger then 7 inches.

The wedsite I gave in the previous post is only the starting point if you are interested in these instruments. A few months back I did a yahoo search for hurdy-gurdy and got several pages of links. There must be hundreds of sites on these instruments.

BTW, because of health problems, I am no longer taking orders for instruments. I stopped building them over a year ago. Hopefully, someday I can start again, as they are fun to build.

Dave

Re: I have the same problem with my "wheel" [message #15960 is a reply to message #15959] Tue, 30 December 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

:^)) Mine doesn't seem to crank like it used to. (nt) [message #15961 is a reply to message #15960] Tue, 30 December 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
nt
Dave

Re: Hey guys...how about posting some pics of your speakers [message #15962 is a reply to message #15953] Tue, 30 December 2003 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dave,

Those are incredible instruments. Very cool and stylish. I hope you find yourself back into the creation again.

Best,

Bill

Re: Hey guys...how about posting some pics of your speakers [message #15963 is a reply to message #15953] Wed, 31 December 2003 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those really are cool, Dave. I didn't know that your nickname referenced anything in particular, and now I know why you picked that moniker.

I don't know that I've ever heard this instrument. Do you, by any chance, know of a song or movie or something that I might have heard one on?

Re: Hey guys...how about posting some pics of your speakers [message #15967 is a reply to message #15963] Wed, 31 December 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Loreena McKennitt has a hurdy-gurdy on the opening of "Mummers Dance" on the CD Book of Secrets.

The is a sample music file here. Just click on Mummers Dance.

http://www.canehdian.com/artistlinks/loreenamckennitt/audio.html

That's the most popular one I can think of. Mostly, this instrument is best known in traditional french, celtic, spanish and brittish music, both folk, classical and medieval.

Dave

Another link [message #15975 is a reply to message #15967] Thu, 01 January 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I couldn't get "Mummer's Dance to work in the privious link, so here is another. For phone modems, it takes a couple of minutes, but there is a nice sound sample at the bottom of the page. The opening instrument is a hurdy-gurdy.

Dave

Re: Another link [message #15976 is a reply to message #15975] Thu, 01 January 2004 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Dave!

Thanks for posting the link! I really like that sound, and of course, recognized that song. It was very popular.

I'm so glad that I now know what made that enchanting sound. I had assumed it was a synthesizer; Never really thought about it actually. But to know it is an older traditional instrument is very interesting.

I have always liked the sound of the sitar, because it also has a mesmerizing sound. Now I know another instrument that I feel the same way about - Sort of ancient and enchanting. Thanks so much for filling me in.

Wayne

in case you haven't seen these... [message #16004 is a reply to message #15936] Fri, 09 January 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mhardy6647 is currently offline  mhardy6647
Esquire

... my Bob Brines' TQWT's loaded with R/S 40-1354's. They don't have lots of bass, but they're nice and smooth and relaxed and I listen to them quite a bit with my Paramours.

The beautiful (IMO) birch plywood cabinets were built by Mike Berg in Hudson, MA to Bob's design. There's no BSC network, Zobel filter, nor any driver treatments. The pipe is stuffed with polyester (pillow stuffing).

BTW, I am "borrowing" the image from AudioKarma.org. Hope that's OK to all parties involved...

Previous Topic: In case people have not, please check out the review of a lowther based bass reflex driver on enjoyt
Next Topic: Supertweeters added to my FR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:02:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout