Home » Audio » Speaker » Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns?
Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns? [message #15889] Wed, 17 December 2003 22:47 Go to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
I love my Maggies. I can't help but feel that I am missing something. Yes, I'm a "never satisfied audiophile".(
Re: Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns? [message #15891 is a reply to message #15889] Wed, 17 December 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Be sure to check out the Single Driver Speaker Forum here too.

Re: Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns? [message #15904 is a reply to message #15889] Fri, 19 December 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Pete,

I suspect that most people first get into high efficiency speakers through their amps -- they've fallen for low-power SETs and start hunting for speakers. It's the SET/speaker combo that can be magic.

On the other hand, whatever floats your boat. I've never heard Maggies, although I've always heard great things about them.

Re: Why get into Single Driver - How did you reflex Fostex units work out? [message #15905 is a reply to message #15904] Fri, 19 December 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was wondering how satisfied you were with the reflex Fostex speakers you built. Did they prompt you to move to the 4 Pi? Good but just different? I considered the Basszilla for a long time, I may just do it too,someday. But I'm curious about the performance in a reflex cabinet.

Thanks

Maggies [message #15908 is a reply to message #15904] Fri, 19 December 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Maggies can start a life long habit---Have had 2 different pairs over the years---from Pans to B-1's----very very detailed presence!---and very directional----but the sweet spots was so very sweet---trying t find it again with a tube amp now---Put a sub on those maggies and rock back!!!!

Re: Why get into Single Driver - How did you reflex Fostex units work out? [message #15910 is a reply to message #15905] Fri, 19 December 2003 11:24 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I didn't build the Pi 4s because I was dissatisfied with the Fostex -- I've just become obsessed. I'd wanted to build speakers but had no woodworking experience. Last fall I took a woodworking class, bought some tools and have gone crazy since then.

When I built the Fostex cabinets, I screwed them up a bit, not structurally but cosmetically, so I decided to use them to create a garage/workshop system, and then tackle the Pis.

The craziness continues. I'm learning to veneer (you'll see that the Fostexes and Pis are "unfinished) by building my brother-in-law a center channel speaker for Christmas (it'll be close!) and I've just finished a veneered subwoofer -- see link.

Previous Topic: Epstein wants to know...........
Next Topic: New topic - Any thoughts on this three way
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:05:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout