Home » Audio » Speaker » Klipschorns anyone?
Re: One person's comparison... [message #15864 is a reply to message #15859] Tue, 16 December 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the comparison.
Have you ever tried something like plumbers putty on the woofer basket of the Heresy's? I tried this, along with filling the box with stuffing and adding a dowel brace to the box, and the bass sound improved imensely. Everything got "taunter" and had more impact.

Dave

I have considered... [message #15866 is a reply to message #15864] Tue, 16 December 2003 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Those changes, but when I added a better sub (SVS 20-39 pci) I resolved most issues I had with the sound. I haven't worked up the desire to break into them, especially the HIs in the ceiling can be a bear to get at.

I will probably build the new three way first and see what happens. As you can see I am taking a cornwall approach to my new listening area.

Re: I have considered... [message #15867 is a reply to message #15866] Tue, 16 December 2003 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good luck with building new ones, sounds like fun.

Dave

Re: Heard the Klipschorn's today [message #15998 is a reply to message #15829] Tue, 06 January 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Were these driven by solid state? IMHO, only high quality SETs should be used with Khorns. They are very quick to reveal upstream problems and third order distortions by solid state stuff will be emphasized.
In fact, if the setup has so-so solid state upstream with poor cables, they would probbaly sound like other speakers, or maybe even much worse. But if you have a clean SET amp, good cables and a clean source...OHHH my.

I have a pair of Khorns from 1978...so they still have alnico magnets...though in horns i am not sure how important that is.
I have to say I am EXTREMELY satisfied with them. While they are a pain to move and to set up, they are well worth it. I can get GIANT sound using my 2 watt zen se84C (which is of course amazingly clear & detailed). My cables are transparent plus (which are amazingly ahem transparent). Now all i need to do is upgrade the source...sigh. saving up for a DAC. Will probbaly get one this summer.
Overall....these speakers are highly detailed and very very fast. I can actually hear my midfi CD players' shortcomings now (i have a NAD c541i & a sony XA20ES)
....esp. after i recently upgraded the speaker cables & ICs. I would say that Khorns are a work of genius. I take my hat off to Mr. Paul Klipsch. In the brochure, he writes that these are the finest speakers money can buy, so he clearly liked them! ANother testimony: they have been around since 1948! Even the Quad ESLs have not been around that long, and stereophile editors drool over those!
If you go to audioreview and read reviews on khorns, you'll maybe see why so many people like them.
-akhilesh
PS Did i mention i love my khorns?

Re: Heard the Klipschorn's today [message #16009 is a reply to message #15829] Sat, 10 January 2004 11:55 Go to previous message
Wenhu Wang is currently offline  Wenhu Wang
Esquire
I have a pair of K'horns drived by Pass Lab. Aleph 3 in San Diego. You may come and listen for the sound when you tell more about you.

Previous Topic: anyone try matching a 40"ribbon tweeter and a 15" woofer
Next Topic: large or small?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:14:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout